drawing comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This may be a ridiculous question due to a number of variables such as be population in the hive etc.

But, if we go along the lines of a nuc or small colony, how long does it take to draw comb.

I have used some new foundation that the don't seem keen on, have now installed some better quality stuff (thornes premium) and hopefully they take to it.

Any thoughts?

Keep hoping.

You were right in your original perception.

Nucs should come with all drawn frames, so have no need to draw comb.

Bees don't build wax unless they need it. That means having a use for it.

Makes sure it's cozy in there; warm and dense with bees. It sounds like you might be pushing a smaller colony to fill a too-big space. If necessary stop it down and if the weather is iffy, feed 1:1 syrup. It's like a watched kettle; new nucs do seem to take a while to get going and having them rattle around makes it worse.

<ADD>Actually I like the kettle analogy; to make it boil quicker take some water (space) out.</ADD>

Last edited:
ok, going by my small (cast) swarm,
collected 20th may and hived same day
25th checked, they had started drawing comb on wax starter strips
1st june, found queen and eggs,

As Oliver said, bees do combs when they need them.
I have not met a colony who does no make combs enough.

I have given to them 10 y old foundations and they draw them.

Last edited:
Feed sugar in summer and your spoil your honey...is that the goal.
Or you want new combs and fill them with sugar .

Last edited:
This may be a ridiculous question due to a number of variables such as be population in the hive etc.

But, if we go along the lines of a nuc or small colony, how long does it take to draw comb.

I have used some new foundation that the don't seem keen on, have now installed some better quality stuff (thornes premium) and hopefully they take to it.

Any thoughts?

Feed sugar in summer and your spoil your honey...is that the goal.
Or you want new combs and fill them with sugar .

am I missing something here???
how did it go from comb building dates, to moaning about feeding sugar

I will certainly feed my bees if they are starving whether they are in a nuc or a hive, simple observation on inspection. NBU will often give warnings this time of year of colonies starving. :facts:

i thought that drawing combs was the issue.

Beginners love to feed sugar to their hives the whole summer. Then they wonder why small colonies swarm.

Last edited:
Hey beecology,
check out Mike Palmer of Vermont on utube giving a lecture on his sustainable apiary. He explains how to set up his double nucs and how quickly they draw out comb. It's been discussed on this forum on a few occasions.

Latest posts

Back