Down the bottom of the garden.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXFORDBEE

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
Hi All,

Following a a divorce I have to move to a new property. I had found a property with a double garage and workshop on the end but it has been significantly over priced.

So, I've found a cheaper property and looking at putting in a garden room at the bottom of the garden to extract & bottle in. I'll need to plumb in water & electricity...

Has anyone else done this?

Cheers,

Steve.

I'll need to plumb in water & electricity...

The easy way would be to run an extension cable from your house and a hose from a tap. If you have separate services plumbed in with their own meters (so your business could have its own supply) it would work out very expensive

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I could probably get a water meter fitted to the rising main for the house if the water board wanted to argue, in fact my daughter is not home often so a water meter might be a good idea....(!), as I'll be a single bod in a 3 bedroom house...

An extension cable might just work. However building regulations might apply and running a cappings melter and/or anything else might require a ring main rather than a 13 amp cable...

I put a 30ft porta cabin down the bottom of my garden. Its partitioned 20ft / 10ft and the 10 ft end is my honey room.
Spent £150 getting a proper electrical supply to the distribution board which was well worth it. I run 2 warming cabinets, extractor and water heater along with wall heaters and lighting.
Water supply is a cold feed hose pipe to a stainless sink unit with an under sink water heater.
Positioning the cabin wasn't to bad with a hiab lorry and rear access via a field.

I don't think I could "drop" a container in without significant interest from the neighbours!
I think the garden is big enough for something that size but I need to measure up...

I am in the middle of doing a similar thing, I would load some pics but not as easy as it used to be, I have run conduit and a blue mains water pipe and pushed 30 amp armoured cable through the conduit all underground, don't forget you will need some sort of drainage system, I am fortunate in that I have an old septic tank in an ideal position and did get full planning as the building is built from concrete blocks to be clad externally in timber when finished

Pics are on the BFA Facebook page, members only if you want a look

How is the Honey house coming on Kev, is it operational yet, any new photos ?

Latest posts

Back