double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islayhawk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Overwintered on double brood and bees overwintered ok. I now have a brood box on top with a laying Queen, brood and stores building up. Bottom brood is empty and I would like to replace some of the frames in it and replace with undrawn foundation. Should I leave the configuration as it is or move the bottom brood box to the top.I want to stay on double brood

What I do is when the bees are on 8+ frames of brood I both add a super and put a frame of brood down into the bottom box replacing it with either an empty comb or a foundation and they get on with it all just fine.

If you put your empty brood above they will treat it more as a super and it will get congested.

PH

What I do is when the bees are on 8+ frames of brood I both add a super and put a frame of brood down into the bottom box replacing it with either an empty comb or a foundation and they get on with it all just fine.

If you put your empty brood above they will treat it more as a super and it will get congested.

PH

Not good ideas in cold spring weathers.
I let bees first occopy two brood boxes, and the third box is super.
Eight frame colony is not able to forage honey into super.
Look at next 10 days' temps, at the level of 12C. Nights +3C.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back