Don't share a bee suit!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
I did tonight and ended up in an ambulance trip to the hospital. Thankfully no more than severe reaction to a number of stings but must admit it was not to be recommended. Had just taken a quick look at one hive to check for swarm cells and they were fine but the other hive were not so welcoming. Had to use much more smoke to keep them down and then realised that I was not the only one inside the veil. Excused myself from the immediate vicinity but by the time I had removed the top half of my suit, the damage was done. Drove home but in those 5 minutes my face and chest had turned bright red, my face was very swollen and my body came up in hives. When my hearing was affected and chest became tight, it had to be phone a friend. Attended to by paramedic and then taken to hospital by which time the effects had begun to decline. All in all a salutory lesson to make sure that you do your zip up to the end, not half an inch away.

been there a couple of weeks ago and got a wallop on my throat....lesson learnt!

Hope you're on the mend, parkranger :(

hope you are now OK. This happened to s friend of mine, he didn't notice a tear in his veil and he got about half a dozen in with him, got stung and went running off down the field, arms waving like a helicopter.

hope you are now OK. This happened to s friend of mine, he didn't notice a tear in his veil and he got about half a dozen in with him, got stung and went running off down the field, arms waving like a helicopter.

It pays to check your veil routinely before every wear.
Check veil, check zips. Now I can begin.
Cazza

It pays to check your veil routinely before every wear.
Check veil, check zips. Now I can begin.
Cazza

Always check ALL zips..

Bees inside jeans = interesting experiences... for the bees.

had a half suit on, bee crawled up jeans leg gulp, could feel it walk all the way up to just past the nee , held leg away from my leg, bee crawled all the way down, and flew off, (nothing of interest) , from now on elastic bands around ankles

had a half suit on, bee crawled up jeans leg gulp, could feel it walk all the way up to just past the nee , held leg away from my leg, bee crawled all the way down, and flew off, (nothing of interest) , from now on elastic bands around ankles

I bet all the girls say that?
:D
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

all that fuss and it'll only be the one little prick

Thanks for concern, almost back to normal except swelling under chin (where i took a couple of direct hits) which makes me look like a pelican!
Certainly learnt a lesson the hard way!

Latest posts

Back