Does relocation make bees grumpy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mymwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
See my other threads but..

moved bees home last night. All went very smoothly, three hives, two nucs and one older that is producing a nice honey super. Even 'invented' a means to carry them by strapping them down, inserting lengths of 2x1 planed batten inside the strap and under the roof, and carrying them like a stretcher. Worked well and kept them level avoiding the bumps of a sack truck.

Removed sponge (in the dark) and retired. All quiet. Went to remove straps today at about 7pm and the established hive came out in great numbers as soon as I started removing the ratchet strap.

I guess, and it is a guess, that relocation causes upset? Not an unreasonable reaction? The two nucs were fine.

:nature-smiley-013:

oh... and what is the advice on feeding relaocated hives as they find local supplies?

Presumably you've relocated to somewhere bee friendly - so no need to feed.

yes, bee friendly area, plenty of local flowers etc

But what about the grumpiness, is this normal? Didnt remove straps as it was pitch dark and I was dog tired!

Grumpiness? No, can't see any reason - and I've never noticed it after moving a hive.

Have you just bought some new aftershave off ePay?

Some bees can get a bit funny after being moved to OSR, and the same with moving to the heather,with regards to the heather, it's more likely they have just also had all there supers of honey removed prior to moving and the main flow is coming to an end. Yours will settle down after a couple of days i expect.

Aye, thats what I hoped... thanks chaps

Hi Martyn, Did you smoke them first or just remove strap and therefore putting them on intruder alert.

Check email re. John mentor question.

Russ.

Latest posts

Back