Does heat stop queen laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
Would high temperatures stop a queen from laying. We have just checked a hive with this years queen in, who has been laying, but now there are no eggs, or larvae in any stage or any queen cells. The queen was seen. Through no choice, we had to site this hive in full sun, not expecting the weather that we have had lately. Could this be the reason do you think.

Would high temperatures stop a queen from laying. We have just checked a hive with this years queen in, who has been laying, but now there are no eggs, or larvae in any stage or any queen cells. The queen was seen. Through no choice, we had to site this hive in full sun, not expecting the weather that we have had lately. Could this be the reason do you think.

I find that the hives that get the most sun are the hives that work the hardest. The hives in the same apiary that are in a more shaded spot appear to have less activity.

I find that the hives that get the most sun are the hives that work the hardest. The hives in the same apiary that are in a more shaded spot appear to have less activity.

:iagree:

Hi buchwyns,
A couple of mine were laying rubbish a few weeks back and took forever to turn around the recently vacated cells. However, they did not stop altogether. I assume that she has got room to lay?

Had some QC's last week that I took down, they then made another QC.

Q is a new Q from a A/S but a slow layer, would they also do this if Q was sick?

Could this be a first with general agreement all round?

High temperatures shouldn't stop the Queen laying although above 35°C (true shade )bee behaviour can and often does change.

Chris

Had some QC's last week that I took down, they then made another QC.

Q is a new Q from a A/S but a slow layer, would they also do this if Q was sick?

Bees react on sick queens and supercede them.

I had this spring a good layer. It almost stopped laying and there were queen cells which were capped as 3 days old.

Only thing what I got into my mind is that it was 5 feet to the corn field and it was sprayed with herbicide. I think that they took drinking water from leaves and queen got sick. Something hormonal too in queen larvae too.

UK is not actually hot country even in these days, when we look beekeeping countries.

As always, asking not suggesting. How would a beek know the difference between supersedure and swarm preparation in a situation like this? Is a pre-swarm queen likely to be still laying? Snelgrove cited sun as something more likely to induce swarming I think

Bees react on sick queens and supercede them.

I had this spring a good layer. It almost stopped laying and there were queen cells which were capped as 3 days old.

Only thing what I got into my mind is that it was 5 feet to the corn field and it was sprayed with herbicide. I think that they took drinking water from leaves and queen got sick. Something hormonal too in queen larvae too.

What do you suggest my options are, let them make a new Q, or despatch Q and unite colony ?

Thanks.

What do you suggest my options are, let them make a new Q, or despatch Q and unite colony ?

Thanks.

Buy a new queen. To let them make queen?- it takes almost a month, that it starts to lay. And it has kept allready a brake.

Latest posts

Back