Do I need roof vents

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I get the impression that a lot of people do not use top ventilation if they are using open mesh floors. If this is the case then what is the purpose of the ventilation in the roof of many hive designs? Is it just a design feature when solid floors and top ventilation are used? I am asking because I am in the process of building a couple of my own hives and I intend to use open mesh floors and was thinking that my roof design would not have the vents.

I built a number of roofs without ventilation and found that over the winter the stale air in the space above the crown board and insulation was causing mould.
2 x 20mm holes covered with varroa mesh solved the problem, so IMHO yes ventilation is required, I use solid crown boards so there is no chimney effect.

it's to ventilate the roof space NOT the hive. think house roofs - they are not sealed but have vents under the eaves.

I have made a roof for myself this year with no top ventilation, it also has no large cavity in the roof only two bee space from the ply face of the crown board.

The roof also has built in 25mm insulation, and so far has worked like a roof but the real test will be over winter.

"I have made a roof for myself this year"

well done - following hard on the heels of mons. ab.!!!!

try a whole hive next year. you know you can do it!!!!

"I have made a roof for myself this year"

well done - following hard on the heels of mons. ab.!!!!

try a whole hive next year. you know you can do it!!!!

You know what I will give that a go lol

there's someone else on here with a surname that suggests they would be ideally suited to construction of bee hardware.

perhaps he could ask for a "my first toolkit" for xmas and give it a go before spring.

I get the impression that a lot of people do not use top ventilation if they are using open mesh floors. If this is the case then what is the purpose of the ventilation in the roof of many hive designs? Is it just a design feature when solid floors and top ventilation are used? I am asking because I am in the process of building a couple of my own hives and I intend to use open mesh floors and was thinking that my roof design would not have the vents.

Google warm roof cold roof
If you are taking the cold roof solution then vents are needed.
Houses and hives are both dwellings with heat and vapour

Back