Do Amms live longer than any other species of honey bee

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id be interested to see how related tbey are to 19th century uk Amm.

Unless they can compete on performance with modern carnica, buckfast, etc., they will remain a local conservation project with no interest to the majority of beekeepers elsewhere.

No , i tell customers theyll get a far better bee if tbey take my Buckfast, but the choice is theirs.
No doubt youll have a sale ready to offer those you advise. If you are really so desperate for business, that you have to slag off people and products you know nothing about, ill put some your way since I always end up selling more than i really want to .

Wrong again, I don't sell queens. but there are a few around here who are looking for queens for next year. Like I said, they know who to avoid.

Originally Posted by SDM View Post
Unless they can compete on performance with modern carnica, buckfast, etc., they will remain a local conservation project with no interest to the majority of beekeepers elsewhere

I believe that Belfast and Bangor and possibly Sussex and others??? have looked into extracting DNA from historic samples... but that is purely academic.

MODERN Amm in Cornwall with the bee improvement that has gone on over the last few decades is producing stock that seems to match the claims made for the exotics and mongrel/ hybridized bees.

The Carnica I had dwindled away as could not put up with the South Devon Coastal mizzell and misty climate!

Time will tell !!!

MODERN Amm in Cornwall with the bee improvement that has gone on over the last few decades is producing stock that seems to match the claims made for the exotics and mongrel/ hybridized bees.

I can't understand why you won't take ITLD up on his offer of an objective test then.
If you have stock that can compete with my Amc, I'd very much like to see it (even a photo?)

They have been same 10 000 years.
Since Ice Ace.

But I looked the university project. IT is quite in start. Budget is € 10 000. Cheers' goals are plenty.

Last edited:
Yes... B4 project working with University of Plymouth/ Marine Biological Association/ Rosslyn Institute Edinburgh/ Dr Solund Apigenix and others.
Showing low levels of introgression throughout Cornwall, and even slight differences between the Amm... which incidentally are NOT even closely related to Amm in Europe/France/Iberian peninsular... or the Manx / Northumberland and Irish variants.
Also a PhD on honeybee traits specifically shown by the Cornish Amm is being undertaken by Victoria Buswell, who is asking for beekeepers in Cornwall to supply bees for DNA testing as part of a "Citizen Science" project. Victoria can be contacted via the University of Plymouth webpage

Yeghes da

Interesting - I respect your approach and the effort to maintain AMM.

It is also interesting to understand why the Cornish bees have little hybridisation with other bees that have been introduced over the last couple of hundred years.

Interesting - I respect your approach and the effort to maintain AMM.

It is also interesting to understand why the Cornish bees have little hybridisation with other bees that have been introduced over the last couple of hundred years.

Anthropologically... the Cornish are poor and could not afford exotic bees and have been isolated to some extent from activities on the other side of the Tamar.

Trials on how the Amm perform are being conducted at University level... within Cornwall.
I do not know why the bees should be subjected to "Testing" in different climatic conditions elsewhere in the UK... I thought that was what Smartbees was all about.... and given the disrespectful comments about the work and research that Ron Hoskins/Swinbees carried out, would only in reality want a professional and peer reviews study undertaken!

I can't understand why you won't take ITLD up on his offer of an objective test then.
If you have stock that can compete with my Amc, I'd very much like to see it (even a photo?)

Suggest you take that up with B4Project.

The Carnica I had dwindled away as could not put up with the South Devon Coastal mizzell and misty climate!

Time will tell !!!

Will it tell us how you managed to buy Carnica that couldn't survive the mildest most temperate climate in the uk with just about the highest hours of sunshine annually ?

I do not know why the bees should be subjected to "Testing" in different climatic conditions elsewhere in the UK... I thought that was what Smartbees was all about.... and given the disrespectful comments about the work and research that Ron Hoskins/Swinbees carried out, would only in reality want a professional and peer reviews study undertaken!

NO
You're testing within a population. You aren't testing one population (e.g. Amm) against another (e.g. Amc). They're different populations [Basic stats].
Ron Hoskins is a completely separate matter. If all you do is review UoP (university of Plymouth) articles within UoP, that isn't really peer-reviewing.
Actually, I've yet to see any results from Cornwall.

Will it tell us how you managed to buy Carnica that couldn't survive the mildest most temperate climate in the uk with just about the highest hours of sunshine annually ?

In Finland Carnica is hardy and it is most kept in northern beekeeping areas.

Pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap merchants probably.

I bought a couple of cheap Carnia queens and still have their offspring... If they survive here, they should thrive in the great gray greasy tamar valley...

Even then, claims that they dwindled in the harsh Devonian sunshine stretch the imagination.

Why is there such a disagreement on here perhaps it's time to start a new thread .
Amms Vs Amcs and see what comes of it my thread has some what been taken over.

It's obviously sparked much debate about the different race of bee's
And has some what gone a little bit away from the original thread title ..
Typical beekeepers I wouldn't expect anything less cheers.
Mark.

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

Even then, claims that they dwindled in the harsh Devonian sunshine stretch the imagination.

From previous posts he was unable to get Buckfast colonies either to survive overwinter in the balmy climate.
Sounds like beekeeper error to me.
Somewhere, many moons back, he was bragging about 50lbs per annum per hive for his Cornish Amm's. Roughly a 1/4 of what many of us Buckfast keepers harvest in our area with our non locally adapted bees.
It goes without saying that you need to know how manage your colonies to get those sort of yields and also to get them to survive in the rather harsher colder climate of the North Yorks moors ;)

Latest posts

Back