DIY gas vapouriser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Just made this and tested with cold water to see the effects. Works really well, as you can see the steam coming out the end pipe.
The copper pipe is 6mm ID
To roll the copper it best to get something like a broom handle any gentle using your thumb bend it round. Google said fill the pipe with salt, and tape the ends, this stops it from kinking , but I didn't bother as it arrived in a big coil. Then poke some wire wool in the end, furthest from the burner. This stops the flame from flying out the end!
I can put my hand in front of it with out getting burnt! The pipe ends, both ends you can hold, warm but not red hot. I connected a peace of clear pipe from the copper pipe to a basic plastic spray bottle, as you can see in the pictures. One squeeze wait second then one more, as you can see a nice steady stream of steam.

Will have a play about this week and see if I can improve it. It was a quick bodge just to see how it worked this eve!

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_202913207.jpg
    IMG_20170812_202913207.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20170812_202513989.jpg
    IMG_20170812_202513989.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 107
Just made this and tested with cold water to see the effects. Works really well, as you can see the steam coming out the end pipe.
The copper pipe is 6mm ID
To roll the copper it best to get something like a broom handle any gentle using your thumb bend it round. Google said fill the pipe with salt, and tape the ends, this stops it from kinking , but I didn't bother as it arrived in a big coil. Then poke some wire wool in the end, furthest from the burner. This stops the flame from flying out the end!
I can put my hand in front of it with out getting burnt! The pipe ends, both ends you can hold, warm but not red hot. I connected a peace of clear pipe from the copper pipe to a basic plastic spray bottle, as you can see in the pictures. One squeeze wait second then one more, as you can see a nice steady stream of steam.

Will have a play about this week and see if I can improve it. It was a quick bodge just to see how it worked this eve!
You have made a fogger, what mix are you going to use?

Looks dman dangerous to me....
Shell out a few euros and get something custom made for the job.

Would you like to point out what's dangerous ? At this point please.
I tried to import one and had to get a refund, although it was a different supplier.
I track the mix down, I did post it before.

Looks dman dangerous to me....

Would you like to point out what's dangerous ? At this point please.

Where do you want to start??:hairpull::hairpull:

• Modifications to the blowtorch, potentially explosive when it overheats?

• Uncontained venting of noxious gas/vapour?

• No free hand when using it?

• Oh and, the mist/exhaust end is pointing in the same direction as the flame of the torch so you risk setting fire to the underside of the hives.

Go out and get a vaporiser that (is designed to do the job properly), sublimes the crystals inside the hive.

Is this one gas powered? Do you have a link for the supplier?
Thanks

Yes, http://www.irishbeesupplies.com/HYGIENE__DISEASE/cat1800429_2262149.aspx

Check out the six chambered one....only need to reload after 6 hives. And yes they are gas powered.

Alternatively you can go for a mains operated sublimox

Or the cheaper Lega one but needs a hot air gun which requires a serious generator for the power source.

Non are cheap. It's a trade off between your time and the number of hives you have. I reckon around the 10 hive mark and the time factor becomes overwhelming. But once bought the operating cots per hive are negligble.

Yes, http://www.irishbeesupplies.com/HYGIENE__DISEASE/cat1800429_2262149.aspx

Check out the six chambered one....only need to reload after 6 hives. And yes they are gas powered.

Alternatively you can go for a mains operated sublimox

Or the cheaper Lega one but needs a hot air gun which requires a serious generator for the power source.

Non are cheap. It's a trade off between your time and the number of hives you have. I reckon around the 10 hive mark and the time factor becomes overwhelming. But once bought the operating cots per hive are negligble.
With around 20 hives give or take I think the single shooter would do the job.
Thank you for all that information.

No problem. With these "pressurized" vaporizers it's worth thinking of vaping from the top using an eke with one side sealed plus a hole for the vaporizer nozzle. A tip given to me by someone who uses them a lot.

Wightbees have you used your fogger in anger yet? I'd be a bit worried the heat of the copper pipe would melt the plastic from your mister but proof is in the pudding etc. Any unintentional spraying of atomised alcohol mix sounds potentially nasty :eek:

Not having a go, just interested. :)

Not that I know of. But I'm sure postage from Ireland won't be too expensive. Worth giving than a ring.
I'd be interested myself as lugging generators etc is hassle, compared to turn on gas cylinder.

I'd be interested myself as lugging generators etc is hassle, compared to turn on gas cylinder.

Looks like that vaporizer would be slower as the time needed to bring each pot up to temperature as they are rotated into place, plus needs a separate gas bottle, does the six chamber one also need a compressor or fan to blow air into that pipe on the side.?

Here is a faster machine for those that need speed.....http://www.vmvaporizer.com/

That be the one needing a generator and an air compressor......100 hive an hour was it's original specs.
Wasn't thinking of the time involved, just the convenience of having a small bit of kit that can live in truck for the times you need one there and then.. But not sure how efficient they are,(the Irish ones) the long tube suggests lots of condensation of OA, but looking at them I think they work on same principle as sublimox with sealed chamber and small exit tube .

Maddydog
Plastic doesn't melt in test run, I have heat gun and the temperature there is hand warm. Same in front of copper tube, you can put your hand in front with Out burning.
The chemical mix I posted else where but I can't use Search with this phone for some reason? Will try this weekend and report back.

100ml of 96% ethanol alcohol to between 15-25g of oxalic (depending on who's recipe) seems to be standard Google.

Back