Discounts for selling honey via outlets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
What level of discount do you offer to those selling your honey in their shop?
I know the limited amount I had out last year did bring some punters direct to me, so there was a marketing benefit. However, many more live too far away to service easily.
I get a decent rate for my honey from the door, and I know my discount will be whatever I can bear, but wondered how others might approach this?

I have numerous people who buy by the bucket for their own use. £3 pet lb

I sell my honey at the door for £5.00 a 12oz jar - I sell it to my retaier customer for £3.50 a jar, enabling him then to match my price of £5.00 at his shop.

Mine is £6 a 454g and £5 for the 340g one.

May go ahead and give them what they want even though they agreed to renegotiate. May ask them to meet me half way.

Mine is £6 a 454g and £5 for the 340g one.

May go ahead and give them what they want even though they agreed to renegotiate. May ask them to meet me half way.

Sell the honey for the price you want!

If they are desperate for your honey they will come up to your price, after all who puts the work in?

I try to sell my honey 20% under supermarket prices and in 5 kg boxes.

In capital city people do not want to come to somebody's door.

If I have a good customer, about 50 kg/year, I give perhaps extra discount.

To drive car in capital city is very expencive. The discount must be effective that it works.

Sell the honey for the price you want!

If they are desperate for your honey they will come up to your price,

If a customer uses 20 kg honey in a year, he knows what he pays. If you rob your best custiomers, they surely find a new seller.

It is a mistake to think that "my honey is special". Others have same pastures and same nectar sources. Only if you burn a little honery with heat gun, it makes a special flavour or melted wax.

Good customers say nothing when they stop buying.

If you rob your best custiomers, they surely find a new seller.

Yes ...this is very true for selling anything Finman - it's a particularly English way of going about things as well - we tend to complain with our feet !

If you rob your best custiomers, they surely find a new seller.

That is true, I didn't say rob your best customers though.

You sell your honey at whatever price you like but why sell your honey at cut price to people who will then make a large mark up on it.

If people want cut price honey buy the stuff from supermarkets, if they want a premium local honey buy it from local beekeepers.

That is true, I didn't say rob your best customers though.

You sell your honey at whatever price you like but why sell your honey at cut price to people who will then make a large mark up on it.

If people want cut price honey buy the stuff from supermarkets, if they want a premium local honey buy it from local beekeepers.

:iagree:

if they want a premium local honey buy it from local beekeepers.

That is not true at all. Everybody is local but everybody does not have good honey.

I have lived in capital city 45 years and sold there honey. There are customers who pays, but not for hype words. I have lots of civil engineers as custumers. If you think that you are local and premium, take care. What makes you so special.

I try to locate my hives so that I get good aromas to the honey. It tells what it is. Local honey around capital city is merely turnip rape. I can compete easily against it with my multi flower honey. At least I have. In north honey is merely fireweed, and the aroma is faint.

Many my good customers whose relatives has been beekeepers. It is better not to tell rubbish.

There is no local honey in capital city. Smart people smile on it, yes yes, but they think that everything is not at home with that guy.. Smart people use to have money. Local bread and the bakery is 200 km far away.
"Rural rye bread", made in Germany.

Some want to cell honey which kills hospital bacteria and herpes. I do not want to underline what kind of diseases customers might have.

Why I talk this. I have lost many good customers when I have not been honest to my self.
And they never return

Last edited:
I do not dispute your experience and views, my honey isn't any more special than the next beekeeper but compared to the cheap stuff in the supermarkets it tastes better and I have a bit of an idea where it was foraged, therefore to me and people who want it, it is premium.

When customers ask for local honey to where they live and want to buy local honey for whatever reason, that is what is sold. I would like to sell at £20.00 a jar but I can't, however I'm not going give my honey away when I can sell it at a reasonable rate.

Now if I was selling in tubs or barrels then that is a different matter altogether.

Last edited:
I think cultures are different in different counties, and customers are going to be different depending on how big a beek you are, and where you are in a country! It's probably best to compare like with like.

Around here I know someone who buys from a local beek for £5/pound, they buy it as a hay fever controller, as well as because they think it tastes good and comes from nearby. It's not to say that that's the right price to set yourself at (market research of one :) )

Kind regards,

A

Latest posts

Back