Did we do right?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
Our little group checked hive Sat, No Queen, many capped Queen cells on 2 frames, one queen emerging and killed. Frames with 2 cells honey etc moved to new hive. About 6 cells left in old hive. Did we do right?? or not. Should we have left one or two per hive. If one queen was emerging Sat the others should have hatched now. Do we just wait????

Simple answer...NO

Why did you kill the emerging queen?
You could have destroyed all other cells and left that one to get mated and take over the hive.

In the main hive you could knock them down except the best one
or you could cut them out and let them hatch indoors and put a virgin back into the hive...it would /should be accepted immediately.

If you leave the six there is a chance the first to hatch will leave with first swarm and you may have 5 cast swarms.

I would suggest you get back quickly.

Many other forum members will post after this with much more advice but the thing is to be quick or have minimal bees left :(

I wasn't there, the bees were getting very angry I think as we are newbees we panicked, the other hive wasn't ready, they had to sit down read and discuss. I think we are too late the other cells must have emerged. We are in an open area with trees no sign of swarm tho.

I also have to ask why kill an emerging queen?
What if the other cells turn out to be duds
Do you have a mentor?

It is so easy to find something and panic. As a group you need to discuss what you might find and how you are going to deal with it BEFORE you open the hive. That way you will have all the right equipment with you. Ok sometimes you will get caught out, we all do, but it is no good going into a hive just to see what is happening without thinking of what you will do if you find something!
I think it will probably be damage control now
Good luck
E

yes we do but unfortunately working thro week. we want to leave it til Sat for a good inspection, but any help appreciated.

They may well have swarmed by saturday. You can get hold of the mentor by phone surely so he/she can give you appropriate advice

Last edited:
I wasn't there, the bees were getting very angry I think as we are newbees we panicked, the other hive wasn't ready, they had to sit down read and discuss. I think we are too late the other cells must have emerged. We are in an open area with trees no sign of swarm tho.
Queenless bees often are defensive. Have a good look around the area, better to find them than lose them.
Not a clever remark but try to get more kit together as swarm time can see your colony numbers rise considerably.

It is never a good idea to assume the worst...there is always a possibility that you might just be in time ..... seriously check them....you may have to use a bit more smoke if they are nasty or /and a water spray.

As I mentioned earlier, you risk losing almost everything....that is why it is important to act now.....
If they haven't yet swarmed you could swap the hives around and put more frames of bees....minus QC's into the little nuc you set up thus saving more bees that would go with the swarm and knock down to best cell --cut out other without damaging it and you may have another back up queen.

Just my penny's worth.......

Have looked around the park no sign of them. There are only young trees so can see every where, little bu++ers.

Back