Desensitisation clinic advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1-2
Hello,

I got stung for the first time this season on the finger and as usual my hand has swollen to three times its usual size. This time the swelling has extended past the wrist. Based on past experience it will stay like this for most of the week.

I've been prescribed strong antihistamines. In the longer term the doctor said that if I heard of a good desensitisation programme and was willing to pay my GP could transfer me privately.

Has anyone had desensitisation programme that has worked? If so where did you go, and what was the final straw that made you think it was time?

I really don't want to give up on bees...

Thanks! This is really helpful.

After my A&E visit last year following AS and cycling home (not wise) and unaware of the developing shock, my doc would not consider anything other than the 2 Epipens offered as Milton Keynes does not support desensitisation treatment.
Would it be worth going private (ouch!), changing Doc until I get a favourable response or just wise to give up beekeeping at this end?

St Thomas' hospital has an NHS bee venom desensitisation course, ask your GP for a referral.

After my A&E visit last year following AS and cycling home (not wise) and unaware of the developing shock, my doc would not consider anything other than the 2 Epipens offered as Milton Keynes does not support desensitisation treatment.
Would it be worth going private (ouch!), changing Doc until I get a favourable response or just wise to give up beekeeping at this end?

Desensitisation is not available at every hospital.
It may require travelling a significant distance.

In Kent, it is only available at one NHS hospital (Medway Maritime, Chatham), which could be 50 miles from some Kent patients' homes.
But treatment IS available on the NHS - you just need to get your Doctor to 'refer' you to the correct Hospital Department.

Desensitisation is not available at every hospital.
It may require travelling a significant distance.

In Kent, it is only available at one NHS hospital (Medway Maritime, Chatham), which could be 50 miles from some Kent patients' homes.
But treatment IS available on the NHS - you just need to get your Doctor to 'refer' you to the correct Hospital Department.

one of our beekeepers has just started a course desensitization course at St Mary's Paddington,it is once a week for 6mths then a reassessment and the total course can be upto three years

from your description sounds like you only suffer severe LOCAL reactions - not sure that desensitisation course is the appropriate course of action; likewise epipens.

Hello,

I got stung for the first time this season on the finger and as usual my hand has swollen to three times its usual size. This time the swelling has extended past the wrist. Based on past experience it will stay like this for most of the week.

I've been prescribed strong antihistamines. …
As per Drstitson.
Desensitisation (and Epipen) is really about systemic (rather than local) reactions - reactions that extend throughout the body, potentially affecting breathing, heart and brain, hence potentially life-threatening rather than inconvenient.

Has anyone had desensitisation programme that has worked? If so where did you go, and what was the final straw that made you think it was time?

I really don't want to give up on bees...
It isn't clear that you have read through the (admittedly long) 'sticky' thread on desensitisation at the top of this section of the forum.

MuswellMetro may be correct in his relaying of what he has heard, but the usual thing is once a week for the first 12 weeks (3 months), and less frequently thereafter - but it certainly does involve a significant regular time commitment, particularly if there is much travelling involved.

Just to let you know im still going to mine every 6 weeks and have a further 14months still to go.

I have been stung a few times this year and the reactions are getting less and less every time. to the point now that if stung I hardly notice it now. the only reason I do is I can feel the sting in the sting area and have a very small amount of itching and redness for maybe 15mins and then it goes.

I still carry my epi pens with me at all times when near the bees as I still may need them at sometime.

Don't pay privately. You've already paid for the NHS, so use it. I am currently 9 months in and it has improved my beekeeping - less fear of a sting :) . However, drstitson is right - you only have a local reaction, but it may develop over time. If you get a referral they will assess whether it is needed - let them make the decision.

Latest posts

Back