Deformed wing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember that AMITRAZ (sold as Apitraz and Apivar) treatment takes 6 weeks and has to be finished before you add supers.

Assuming you have any bees left to add supers to if you don't treat.

Remember that AMITRAZ (sold as Apitraz and Apivar) treatment takes 6 weeks and has to be finished before you add supers.

Also remember that if you are vapourising oxalic acid you need appropriate protective clothing including gloves, face mask and goggles. It is potentially hazardous stuff.

You won’t be supering dead bees

Is Apivar similar stuff to Apiguard then?

And one difference being it can be used during all temperatures?

Mite drop is 14 in the last 3 days.

Did an inspection on Thursday. Brood seemed fine. Didn't notice any adult bees with DWV when inspecting.

Observed entrance this morning. Spotted about another 5-6 bees with DWV, and actually spotted bees dragging affected bees from the hive and dumping them a short distance away (seen that occur 3 times). Amazing to see, but now I'm worried!

If the colony is worth saving I would cull all the sealed brood, do an OAV and then add a frame of 'healthy' soon to emerge brood from one of your other hives. This will get rid of the varroa load and provide some healthy young bees to support the colony / queen.

At this stage of the year with an infested hive, culling all the brood is just as likely to finish them off as the mites are unless you can donate brood from another hive.

At this stage of the year with an infested hive, culling all the brood is just as likely to finish them off as the mites are unless you can donate brood from another hive.

I just have the one hive.

Mite count was 14 in 3 days. Would that be considered an infested hive at this stage of the year?

Mite count was 14 in 3 days. Would that be considered an infested hive at this stage of the year?

Yes.. heavily .

Yes.

I would not agree that the efficacy of thymol based products tails off in Setpember. I generally try to start treating in August but it continues into September and often cooincides with a good brood break. As Hivemaker commented, in some areas the Winter bees are being produced well into October. From watching inspection trays, I know that most of my colonies have very young bees in them through October and into November most years....

Last edited:
I'm thinking back to my Apiguard treatment last Autumn.

I have a double Brood Box with a super. I put the Apiguard tray on the top box, next to the roof. I'm thinkng I should have put it between the bottom two boxes, nearer to the brood nest. Am I right in thinking this may have had an effect on the mite kill?

Highly likely it had an effect and not a good one.
Too little in the wrong place and possibly wrong temps for thymol to work effectively in autumn.
Have you started further treatment yet?

Back