December Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple. Efficacy of the treatment depends on the bees being fully active and venturing out of the hives as well as moving around inside to ensure full distribution of the product. Being in even in a loose cluster means this isn't achieved

In all probability - they would have survived

At best highly unlikely to have survived till spring in a honey gathering capacity. Millet is doing the right thing. Do understand that you have to wear proper protection to vap though Millet.x

Hi Millet
With the high varroa load your 'winter bees' will more than likely be below par. Ie. their survival chances till spring will depend on no other significant colony stressors happening - such as v. Cold winter, nosema, nutrition etc. I would stick with oxalic acid vap. If your bees are truely weakened then Even an oxalic acid dribble could finish them off.
The problem is once we get varroa levels under control then how many brood cycles does it take before the bees recover? I think that may be one of the factors causing winter losses in those of us that leave it late in the season before we treat the varroa. We may get lucky, but the winter bees may not get through till spring if put under stress.
Alec

At best highly unlikely to have survived till spring in a honey gathering capacity. Millet is doing the right thing. Do understand that you have to wear proper protection to vap though Millet.x
Thank you for that, i don't know if you have read my previous topics but i treated with ApilifeVar in early Autumn for 5wk's, after that the mite count was none existent, but now for some reason i'm getting more drop now than earlier on in the year, my only reasoning on this was late brood or worse still some bees from another colony infected with varroa have begged there way into my hive, regardless of where they are coming from i will continue to treat them till i get little or no mite drop (face mask included).

Sorry for the hijack to the original poster .

Do understand that you have to wear proper protection to vap though Millet.x

Luckily by this time of the year my beard has been grown out to fulfil my Christmas santa duties at the local primary school - i then follow the Victorian firefighting manual's recommendations and stuff my beard into my mouth to act as a particle filter.

the two highest risks (the second being higher IMHO) is breathing noxious gases as you vape - this can be avoided by the common sense approack of standing well away and upwind of the hive when the equipment is 'in action'
The highest risk in my opinion is the small particles of OA dust flying around when you open up afterwards and when you take out the inspection tray (or the metal tray you use if you vape through the OMF) which is why the breathing protection recommended is a fine particle mask (and the one supplied with the varrox) not a gas mask which does confuse everyone, as you have to be pretty daft to put yourself in a position to be breathing in the fumes.

All interesting stuff.

Well I've just looked at the inspection board and there seems to be no more varroa on there than there were the other day… like the drop has stopped?!

So I've cleared it off and it's clear as of 1pm today the 4th… watch this space and I'll check it out in a few days. Bees bringing in pollen today.

Thank you for that, i don't know if you have read my previous topics but i treated with ApilifeVar in early Autumn for 5wk's, after that the mite count was none existent, but now for some reason i'm getting more drop now than earlier on in the year, my only reasoning on this was late brood or worse still some bees from another colony infected with varroa have begged there way into my hive, regardless of where they are coming from i will continue to treat them till i get little or no mite drop (face mask included).

Sorry for the hijack to the original poster .

That tells me the AlilifeVar didn't work.

That tells me the AlilifeVar didn't work.

Col.. it did seem to work as i had a good period of time after treatment with no mite drop at all, it is only recently that i seem to be having trouble, i may have nipped it in the bud now though, i will find out next week when i have another look at the inspection board.

The comments about mite counts at this time of year merely suggest that maybe the beekeeper got it wrong during Autumn treatment. No holy grail, just the norm.

Sorry Swarm, but there is nothing normal about this season's warm weather - above average day and particularly nite temps. Add to this the availability of late pollen to increase brood rearing and therefore varroa count and all the smug beeks that are so confident of the success of their autumn treatment may get a nasty surprise come spring. It would appear that my winter bees are being born in November/beginning of December on at least one colony this year - the one with the high varroa count.

Beeno,
Have you never experienced temps like this before? I've worked outside for nearly 40 years and I can tell you that this is not a special year. We've had 'warm' Winters in the past but that didn't seem to have any adverse effect on the bees, after their Autumn treatment.
Forget counting mites and calculating, it just ain't accurate unless you run in laboratory conditions and doubtful even then. Do their treatments and then leave them alone, we interfere enough during the season. The Solstice is a mere couple of weeks away, never mind temps, day length and Sun position tell the bees it's Winter.

Beeno,
Have you never experienced temps like this before? I've worked outside for nearly 40 years and I can tell you that this is not a special year. We've had 'warm' Winters in the past but that didn't seem to have any adverse effect on the bees, after their Autumn treatment.
Forget counting mites and calculating, it just ain't accurate unless you run in laboratory conditions and doubtful even then. Do their treatments and then leave them alone, we interfere enough during the season. The Solstice is a mere couple of weeks away, never mind temps, day length and Sun position tell the bees it's Winter.

Well said that man - generally nothing different to this year than any other year around here (and scarily enough I've just realised that apart from a few years in a 'nice' cosy office I'm almost catching you up with the working outside!!)
Theres been the odd warmish day, but otherwise......................
And as for obsessively counting mites - what does that prove? the far side of FA :D

Have you never experienced temps like this before? .... I can tell you that this is not a special year.
Same here. We've still got leaves on Oak trees, it's unusual for them to be free of leaves at the beginning of December.

Forget counting mites and calculating, it just ain't accurate unless you run in laboratory conditions and doubtful even then. Do their treatments and then leave them alone, we interfere enough during the season.

The Solstice is a mere couple of weeks away, never mind temps, day length and Sun position tell the bees it's Winter.

:iagree:

Leave the bees alone now, let them have some peace. The queen will start increasing her laying soon after the solstice, starting to gear up for next year.

Think about what's happening in the hive.
Very mild weather, queen still probably laying i.e. no brood less period- varroa multiplying. Wait until end of this month ish. If weather does go cold then treat once ( I use Hiveclean) If weather stays mild then I will give 3 treatments over 21 days. Not possible with oxalic i know

Back