Dearth of oilseed rape sown this autumn?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty round here.

Looks like this early on:

26330_1.jpg

Has a blue-green colour (not accurate colour in the photo) and big frilly leaves, tends to sit as rosettes of leaves at ground level until spring growth starts in earnest.

If it looks like the same leaf but more advanced than this and yellow-green, then it's kale grown as animal forage - you'll often see them let in and controlled by a temporary fence as they feed on it.

Some on the A259 between Littlehampton and Bognor seems to be coming into flower.

Just look forward to some different tasting honey next summer! Change is good! I had hardly if any OSR nectar this summer and had lovely honey from dandelions etc

That will most likely be Charlock, a good frost tends to kill it.

C B

That is what i would suggest as well CB too early for Rape, we get a fair bit of Charlock around here it seems to flower in the margins more for some reason.

NOTICED ABOUT 4 WEEKS AGO THAT MOST OF THE FIELDS SURROUNDING ME HAVE BEEN PLANTED WITH RAPE, SO HOPEFULLY IF THE PIGEONS LEAVE IT ALONE :calmdown: NEXT MAY BE A BUMPER YEAR. BEEN NONE IN THIS AREA FOR PAST 4 YEARS, THATS RAPE.

sorry about caps just noticed.

Back