Dead queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beelosser

Bee Loser
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everyone. I'm in first full year having bought a nuc last June. It has been full on but fascinating. Yesterday decided to inspect a poly nuc which holds a swarm that I collected in June. It was a virgin queen as I had done a pagden and still have original marked. The new queen never did well, laying irregular pattern and loads of drone cells. Saw superceedure cell last month and so left alone. Went to inspect yesterday to find a dead young queen just outside the entrance, she wasn't there the night before- first nice day for couple of week. But strange thing was that inside there was more brood than before in a better patter, no drone cells, but no eggs or larvae. All a bit confusing. any thoughts as to what might have happened.

Hi everyone. I'm in first full year having bought a nuc last June. It has been full on but fascinating. Yesterday decided to inspect a poly nuc which holds a swarm that I collected in June. It was a virgin queen as I had done a pagden and still have original marked. The new queen never did well, laying irregular pattern and loads of drone cells. Saw superceedure cell last month and so left alone. Went to inspect yesterday to find a dead young queen just outside the entrance, she wasn't there the night before- first nice day for couple of week. But strange thing was that inside there was more brood than before in a better patter, no drone cells, but no eggs or larvae. All a bit confusing. any thoughts as to what might have happened.
I would imagine you missed a queen cell and had two queens in there. They have sorted themselves out and chosen the best. Good outcome hopefully. The other alternative is it is your one and only queen! I would suggest another peak in seven days looking for brood. Fingers crossed!

Hi Thanks
Spent some time looking at the photos I took when I was inspecting. Guess what nice plump queen on third frame. Just hope she is well mated and starts laying.

hate the fact I spelt my user name wrong meant to be Bee loser

Hi Thanks
Spent some time looking at the photos I took when I was inspecting. Guess what nice plump queen on third frame. Just hope she is well mated and starts laying.

hate the fact I spelt my user name wrong meant to be Bee loser
I tried changing it. Obviously not working. PM Angie and she’ll change it for you.

Latest posts

Back