Damp roofs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiespangle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've notices that a couple of my hives have wet roofs, it's as if water has been blown up into the roof space. They are 4 inch roofs. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Condensation? Leak at roof corners? Both more likely!

Probably condensation, some Kingspan ( OMA) should help cure cold spot in roof.

Have you got a crown board with feeder/porter escape holes?

If you have such holes, moist warm air will rise up from the bees into the roofspace.
In winter, it will then condense on the underside of the roof metal (which is essentially at the outside temperature - colder than the woodwork).
Eventually the roof wood will rot - under an intact metal skin!

The cure for this is to stop the humid air escaping to contact the roof, so seal up your cover board - and then insulate it with a sheet of Celotex/Kingspan/etc.

Damp roof is a good sign, your bees are alive! Its better to have a damp roof top than having the condensation in the hive body

A roof you suspect of leaking, because it is damp, can be completely different on a different colony, ie dry.

re above - feeder/porter escape holes on crown boards should be covered

are you sure its not due to them damn proofs ? or a failure in the damp proof membrane ?

re above - feeder/porter escape holes on crown boards should be covered

What's that - one of the 10 Commandments for one-size-fits-all beekeeping ?

I closed-off my Crown Boards at the beginning of winter, but then installed a 15mm hole (aren't used CDs wonderful ... ?) in view of the recent warm spell. Will be closing-off the hole again as and when winter decides to return.

Same story with the OMF's - vary the amount of ventilation according to the prevailing conditions.

LJ

any pics of what your talking about

There are lots of possibilities/variables from leaks to gaping holes in the crownboard to no roof ventilation There is nothing in the OP to compare his problem roofs with his dry ones. Comparison may reveal an obvious likely culprit, rather than guesses and speculation.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

Wet roofs? water blown in from below? I have experienced the first, but on inspection the cause was fairly obvious for the odd time it has occurred.

little john

Instead of the CD, put a piece of wire mesh over the hole and give the bees a choice of propolising over it or leaving it open - and you'll see which they prefer.

If you really want to provide top ventilation, matchsticks under the edges of the crownboard work well!

Back