damage to outer brood comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbadger07

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
3 colonies
View attachment 5798

Well im not sure what the cause of this damage, there was no visible mouse signs as there was no droppings or smell of urine in hive, im just not sure and would like to see what the forum member thoughts are on this one..

again thanks all for their input

kind regards

any chance you missed the woodpecker hole?

DOI: I did! 23rd Dec 2010 when OA'ing at Dusk on way home after work. Result: a cluster on stings on my thigh.

View attachment 5798

Well im not sure what the cause of this damage, there was no visible mouse signs as there was no droppings or smell of urine in hive, im just not sure and would like to see what the forum member thoughts are on this one..

again thanks all for their input

kind regards

Either mouse or shrew........the latter can sneak in and out easily, though they normally just shave off the face of the combs rather than go through the midrib. However, this looks like it has been a dud deformed comb anyway which means shrews are still very much a live option.

have you replaced it with a piece of Kingspan or similar? or left an empty space for the bees to heat?

and are you sure those aren't little black mouse droppings we can see on the far side of the bottom bar?

have you replaced it with a piece of Kingspan or similar? or left an empty space for the bees to heat?

and are you sure those aren't little black mouse droppings we can see on the far side of the bottom bar?

no the dead bee abdomens

To me it seems mouse. If the comb have had pollen in that site.
There is still some pollen cells there.

Now it is best to repair that comb. Cut a same size piece of foundation and glue that piece into comb with melted wax.

Bees reapair it themselves but they propably make drone combs into the hole.

ive got some drawn brood comb with stores spare, i guess the mouse has now buggered off now so will replace combs and fit mouse guards

Latest posts

Back