Cyser!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakedapiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I set up four ( well, three and a bit ) brews last Weds.

The one I'm most intrigued by is Cyser as I've never seen a commercial example. As there's a fair bit of sugar in apple juice already it's fairly economical on the honey - I've used 500g in 6l. Had a sneaky taste last night ( though it's got a way to go ) and it's turning into something special - very apple up front but the honey is strong in the aftertaste. I'll be scrumping more apples over the next week or so to increase the batch

http://thenakedapiarist.com/2015/09/03/quadruple-brew-wednesday/

First batch fermented out to 1002 and was bottled - it's lightly carbonated and very sharp though not unpalatable, the honey really comes through.

I've done a couple more batches - 20l via the same method ( ie campden tablet) which I let ferment and then fed with a further kilo of honey - I plan to keep feeding until it hits medium dry- might add a tiny bit of tannin.

After smelling the waste from the first batches - which you can from quite some distance on the allotment we thought a natural ferment was worth a try so I pressed another 12l which is fizzing gently after six days of just leaving it alone. I'll let that ferment out then feed with honey if it's not totally bloody awful.

haven't got the kit to do that so what about using apple juice from the supermarket. What would you suggest is the recipe then?

Supermarket apple juice will probably contain a preservative to kill off yeast.

I have used locally bottled Pasturised apple juice sucessfully.

Worth all the effort

Yeghes da

haven't got the kit to do that so what about using apple juice from the supermarket. What would you suggest is the recipe then?

If you check the cartons you'll find some that are just pasteurised, sulphite presence isn't a problem if you're adding yeast. As Icanhopit suggests, pressed bottled apple juice is worth tracking down - our local butcher sells some ( don't ask me why ) that's marked with variety. Don't use stuff from concentrate - it tastes rather 'cooked' when it ferments and not very pleasant.

It will still be just a case of pouring juice into a container, adding yeast and letting it get on with it. It may come out rather thin so you might want to get some tannin from a brew shop and add a little ( about 1/4 of the suggested amount - you can always add more ).

To get the honey to dissolve without heating I mixed it with an equal volume of apple juice, stirred until they were well mixed then stirred that into the main batch - it's a lot easier than trying to just add it straight in.

You can get juice out of apples without a press - chopping/blending, freezing then thawing in a jelly bag will get you a reasonable amount. Adding in a bit of pectic enzyme will get you even more.

Back