Cut Comb frame.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
I was reading the other day that many use SN1 sidebars for CC. I was intrigued as I always thought the Manley sidebar was the way to go given it's width of comb. I find myself that on average the chunks of CC fir the standard containers pretty neatly so why the interest in the SN1? Thoughts?

PH

I've tried both - with 10 SN1s to the box (so identical spacing to Manleys) there is no difference to the combs or the ease of handling them. I just don't like Manleys, for a number of reasons, so I don't use them.

I was reading the other day that many use SN1 sidebars for CC. I was intrigued as I always thought the Manley sidebar was the way to go given it's width of comb. I find myself that on average the chunks of CC fir the standard containers pretty neatly so why the interest in the SN1? Thoughts?

PH
I’ve used both SN1s and Manleys and think the Manley gives a better comb.
I was told recently that combs from Manleys were too thick for the crystal boxes but I’ve never found that.

I occasionally get combs That are too thick but I just shave off the excess from one side and wow they fit!!! Ex rocket scientist..LOL I put all my oddments in a bucket and then after a warm in the warmer they go through the cuttings bags in the extractor so no wastage at all.

PH

Why not so long as there is a pretty side for the buyer to admire? It's the weight that counts and most of my CC are circa 12 oz but I charge for 8.

PH

It's the weight that counts and most of my CC are circa 12 oz but I charge for 8.

PH

I thought you’re Scottish!
That’s just wrong on many levels there’s always a good/ better side to any cut comb but I’ve never thought of uniformly mutilating one side for consistency. Plus isn’t over weight as big a crime as under weight ironically!
I also hate the comb being drained, fine for showing but I always wonder who’s got the other half of my honey. Plus you get a load more wax without honey and that’s never the best.

I never used to drain mine but it does look better drained.
I never sell much cut comb. I still have some four year old in the freezer.
Last year I tried square sections and priced them accordingly higher and they flew!

you can drain it, but that only gets rid of the honey from the exposed cut cells, but if you decap a whole side, you are just going to have comb swimming in loose honey, and a drip hazard in one's shopping basket.

It's all about the locality Dani. I approached a shop a month or so back and they have ripped my arm off for comb honey.

PH

I thought you’re Scottish!
That’s just wrong on many levels there’s always a good/ better side to any cut comb but I’ve never thought of uniformly mutilating one side for consistency. Plus isn’t over weight as big a crime as under weight ironically!
I also hate the comb being drained, fine for showing but I always wonder who’s got the other half of my honey. Plus you get a load more wax without honey and that’s never the best.
You lost me on the more wax without honey?? How do you get to that thought?

PH

You lost me on the more wax without honey?? How do you get to that thought?

PH
Don’t mean you, I just hate buying comb that’s been drained. I found those long nosed pump dispensers useful for topping up box weights😂

Don’t mean you, I just hate buying comb that’s been drained. I found those long nosed pump dispensers useful for topping up box weights😂
To me that's what chunk honey is tbh. I prefer drained and so do honey show judges; looks tidier.

To me that's what chunk honey is tbh. I prefer drained and so do honey show judges; looks tidier.
Not sure show judges are the best example of what the customer is looking for, I wouldn’t suggest these are show standard but they’re well liked😂

Attachments

• 9994133A-6A81-46DA-9275-3E129A33F30D.jpeg
    9994133A-6A81-46DA-9275-3E129A33F30D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Not sure show judges are the best example of what the customer is looking for, I wouldn’t suggest these are show standard but they’re well liked😂
I agree. If you want technical perfection and how it should be then no loose honey.

Many of us sell our honey so the market expectations set the product specification.

Dani's photo is obviously of sections with foundation.
Has anyone used sections with just a bead of wax as a "starter strip" to minimise the amount of wax (foundation being thicker than natural comb)?
I've been wondering about sections or cut comb as it seems there's a fair bit of heather in mine from August.

Dani's photo is obviously of sections with foundation.
Has anyone used sections with just a bead of wax as a "starter strip" to minimise the amount of wax (foundation being thicker than natural comb)?
I've been wondering about sections or cut comb as it seems there's a fair bit of heather in mine from August.
I have done cut comb with a foundation strip and it can work well.
Sometimes my bees draw all sorts of size of cell so it looks untidy. I have one frame like that in the freezer. I’ll dig it out.

Latest posts

Back