Cut comb containers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian123

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Are any aware of suppliers for the clear Perspex type boxes for cut comb there about 4”x4” I see hill top honey do a similar box that holds about 14oz but can’t find a uk supplier. Suppose there’s also a good chance hill top don’t pack it here and it all comes in ready packed from abroad.

Last edited:
Very good chance

Yes the specific hill top is some times a little vague!!....ph thornes only supply the normal plastic/crystal boxes for cc I am after something like the rigid clear plastic common in the US, they are slightly smaller than the old English section and hold about 12oz.

Last edited:
I think I have seen them on display. I suspect you might have to back source from China if that is any help. By that I mean find out who makes them in China Alibaba comes to mind and find out if you can who they supply so as to get a few hundred instead of a minimum order of thousands if not hundreds of thousands.

PH

Thornes do the glass fronted section show boxes and I did pick up a couple for a gift to a land owner but they are £10 each, am looking for a new site so method to the silly price!!. I did wonder about some of the new EU suppliers but worse case could be a US order. May even try and contact hill top through a friend.

Thornes do the glass fronted section show boxes and I did pick up a couple for a gift to a land owner but they are £10 each, am looking for a new site so method to the silly price!!. I did wonder about some of the new EU suppliers but worse case could be a US order. May even try and contact hill top through a friend.
Ozmert plastic Ltd, Turkish company manufacture the same ones as Hilltop.

Ozmert plastic Ltd, Turkish company manufacture the same ones as Hilltop.

Yes, Ian, I asked Hilltop a couple of years ago and they confirmed that their Hungarian acacia cut-comb arrives in the UK pre-packed in the Turkish Ozmertplastik boxes. After that I had an email conversation with the production manager at Ozmertplastik, who was happy to sell me 10,000 boxes :). There used to be an importer in Covent Garden in London, but no longer; transport costs are high from Turkey; I emailed the Turkish Beekeepers Association to see if they could help, but received no answer. I meant to contact Hilltop and see if they would buy in empty Ozmerplastik boxes to supply UK beekeepers, but never got around to it, and bought more Ross Rounds instead.

US alternatives from pioneerplastics.com are the real thing but although the boxes cost pennies, import taxes kill any deal. I emailed Bee Equipment and suggested that as they already import from the US they could corner the market with the Pioneer boxes, which are light years ahead of anything on offer in the UK. BE agreed that it was a very good box, but I've not seen any action from them. Believe I suggested the Pioneer box to Thorne as well. Ceracell.co.nz also do a good box and they would supply to the UK, but similar import duties kill the deal.

The solution from Thorne and others to use takeaway boxes is truly laughable and another example of UK beekeeping living in the past. If comb honey were packaged in a contemporary way it would appeal to a new, younger market, but given the current poor packaging and thus limited UK demand, equipment suppliers are unlikely to take a chance and order 10,000 of those very good Ozmertplastik boxes. If you have a contact at Hilltop, perhaps you could suggest the idea to them.

Thks Eric.....the mrs also has a container coming in from South America this year so could look there as well. Not so much a contact at hill top but he pesters a friend of mine to supply him honey so I could get a number.

Last edited:
I can't even get a website up for this search: Turkish Ozmertplastik

Anyone?

PH

I can't even get a website up for this search: Turkish Ozmertplastik

Nor me. I had the website saved and that too draws a blank screen. Tried to trace my emails with the Ozmertplastik production manager, but they must have been on a long-dead Virgin email account.

Trawled google and came across the news that Ozmertplastik asked to postpone bankruptcy. Ozmertplastik address and phone number: YENİDOĞAN MAH.ABDİ İPEKÇİ CAD. N.92/B KAT.1, BAYRAMPAŞA, İSTANBUL. Phone: 90 212 5011615.

At that point I gave up, but an online chat-person on the Turkish Manufacturers search site popped up, so I put in a request and had this reply: Thank you so much for sharing your request with us. We will forward your inquiry to all related companies in Turkey and then they will get in touch with you in the following days with regard to their interest, willing or capacity.

Guess so, but I'll see what turns up from that product request. Must be a way to supply this sort of box in the UK. The issue with the cheap takeaway goes back a long way: this thread from 2011 shows that dissatisfaction has been around a long time, although one post said I use Thornes and don't see a problem, which shows how out of touch beekeepers are with contemporary packaging and marketing.

To be fair the marge tubs were around a long time but they worked. I think the real reason Thornes dropped them was the leakage issuse.

How though we all have the same problem which is the CC containers are plastic.... oh dear oh dear oh dear. And my plastic has been commented on the shop tells me so it is a very live topic.

I am hoping that some bright spark will come up with an alternate.

PH

To be fair the marge tubs were around a long time but they worked. I think the real reason Thornes dropped them was the leakage issuse.

PH

The leakage issue?
I still use them and have never had one leak to date.

Last edited:
There were problems with the Thorne flimsy in the thread Cut comb Box/Packaging in October 2011 https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11895&page=3.

Mattiker: I've just being trying to buy some containers - phoned Thornes and was informed they have removed them from sale as they've had too many problems - ill-fitting lids and small pin-holes. Which confirms what others have said in this thread. I then phoned a few other places - to try to buy some and checked that they didn't come from Thornes - however these suppliers got their stock from Thornes. So beware there are some dodgy containers out there. Not sure where I'll be able to get any now.

Daniel Basterfield: Hold the containers (white bit) up to the light before you fill them. Cheapo ones can have pin-prick holes in the corners due to the thinness of the plastic - these will weep honey onto the card box/sleeve around it. The Bee Farmers got so fed up with them they paid for a new mould to be made and have their own ones where - joy of joys - the lids fit the containers. Got to be a member to buy them though.

No matter that Thorne replaced the leaking takeaway box by the current crystal comb container, it's still a miserable box compared to the US & NZ options. Check out post 11 and 13 of the 2014 thread Cut Comb Honey in which the US boxes are praised by Hivemaker, but only to point out that they're unavailable.

However, since then I poked about some more and discovered that cornishhoney.co.uk stock the hard plastic boxes at £1.25 each, although 10% discount applies if more than six packs ordered. By comparison, Dadant sell at 84p each in the US. Just now, quite by chance, I found that after all, Bee Equipment did take the hint about these boxes and do stock them. Don't get remotely excited, because they took the cheap route and bought direct from China, so the boxes have Chinese lettering stamped on the lid, probably these at 46p each. At a time when UK customers are rightly suspicious of Chinese honey this must be the daftest move they could make and the easiest way to erode the good name of British honey; I certainly won't be buying any.

Eric I think that last link looks like the US Hogg sections don’t think that’s a container?

Back