Crystallizing. Granulating.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Firstly, I've taken these two words to mean the same thing. Am I correct?

Secondly, I had my first honey harvest in Aug 2013 with about 30lb extracted. It's now march and NONE of my jars have crystallized. It's stored in kitchen cupboard typically 15-20degC. I had some shop bought honey (gales) and a jar of home produced honey that I bought at a show and all of these jars have crystallised.

Is it a good sign that my own honey has not crystallised or is there something wrong with it? My "granulation labels" say that granulation is "the best proof of its quality". I think it tastes great, it's fairly thick and syrupy and it's light in colour. Mainly sycamore I think.

some takes longer than others, I have some in buckets from last year, some has set some not.

Up until last year I would have said that all honeys crystallise, I now know they don't. This year was mainly lime and it is crystal clear.
I am told that if the fructose levels are high then crystallisation us not a forgone thing and certainly is no proof of a better honey!
Others will soon be telling you the reasons why! I am no physicist, just a beekeeper. There is nothing wrong with your honey, just enjoy it!
E

Firstly, I've taken these two words to mean the same thing. Am I correct?

Secondly, I had my first honey harvest in Aug 2013 with about 30lb extracted. It's now march and NONE of my jars have crystallized. It's stored in kitchen cupboard typically 15-20degC. I had some shop bought honey (gales) and a jar of home produced honey that I bought at a show and all of these jars have crystallised.

Is it a good sign that my own honey has not crystallised or is there something wrong with it? My "granulation labels" say that granulation is "the best proof of its quality". I think it tastes great, it's fairly thick and syrupy and it's light in colour. Mainly sycamore I think.

1/ Granulation/Crystallisation - essentially the same thing, though some would attach shades of meaning regarding intent, control and 'quality'.

2/ Runny or solid? Whether or not a honey crystallises naturally depends upon a few things. One is the ratio of concentrations of glucose and fructose. The higher the glucose proportion, the faster it sets. OSR and Clover are examples of glucose-rich nectars that result in glucose-rich (so setting) honeys.
For a mixed-forage area, just recording when you took the honey off the hive (so knowing whereabouts within the season you drew the line) and observing what the stuff actually does over time is probably the best guide to what you should expect in future years.

3/ Setting as an indication of quality? Well, even OSR honey won't set if it has too much water in it. Normal honey (to be legally described for sale as "honey") needs to have no more than 20% water content.
But there are many honeys which, at way less than 20% water, would take years to set.

4/ "Granulation" as a quality problem. The faster the stuff crystallises, the smaller the resulting crystals. So if it crystallises really slowly, the crystals will be bigger, resulting in a (grainy - granulated) gritty "mouth feel". Which isn't a good thing.
So 'processing' of setting honeys tends to involve crystallising them fast, with churning, to get uniform small and unlinked crystals - and thereby a smooth mouth feel.

5/ But if your honey is under the 20% water content (have you checked?) but is in no hurry to set, that is not cause for concern. I'd say morelike cause for rejoicing. Pity about buying those labels though!

If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to get the water content checked.
But if that's OK, it is absolutely fine that it stays runny for a good long time.

Thanks for the excellent replies. Water content looks like my next investigation.

Back