Crocus out early

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have seen catkins this week in the midlands.

Hard frost cold and cold foggy morning.
No catkins or semi-flowering crocuses in sight.
A few reindeer hoof-marks on the lawn.

Had the pooches out at 9.30 last night and the ground was like concrete.. on a good note they come home clean instead of being clarted to death in mud..never seen any reindeer though if i had Christmas dinner would have been a whole lot different...:spy:

Ps ordered 50 bee bee seeds..;)

Last edited:
My remaining ones are going in the honey warming cabinet for a few weeks...after an overnight soak...water for them......malt whisky for me.

Enjoy the Malt.. i would not take the cabinet over 20c maybe even lower .. i have used egg incubators before today to fire some seeds away...a good artificial fluorescent light may also help so they can have longer daylight hours to push them on a little quicker..

First daffodil open in the garden today!!!!!!
E

I used to get one regularly opening on Christmas day- it was a stray remnant planted by my uncle Rhys back in the 1960's which had survived after I re-did the patch of garden in the front when I moved in - South facing, sheltered by the house and the balcony, tucked away in the middle of the lavenders and gets a lot of Sun. Unfortunately I think it went when I decided to change the lavenders for a more compact variety.

:spy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6IQx26eHk
I used to get one regularly opening on Christmas day- it was a stray remnant planted by my uncle Rhys back in the 1960's which had survived after I re-did the patch of garden in the front when I moved in - South facing, sheltered by the house and the balcony, tucked away in the middle of the lavenders and gets a lot of Sun. Unfortunately I think it went when I decided to change the lavenders for a more compact variety.

Last edited:
We had one stray asparagus shoot that the slugs eat but we normally pick tens of pounds and no more in sight at the moment. However the bees are decimating the crocii today. Once pollinated they go over!
E

Last edited:
The crocus are well away now..still to early and cold to be of any use to the bees.

It's supposed to get warmer as the week goes by Steve , the white crocus at home are a week away from flowering where as the purple one's are only just coming up through the soil , it makes a difference where there situated mine are in the field perhaps a bit out in the open .
Where as the pots by the house are alot more advanced.

Latest posts

Back