Creator of bee!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All life evolved on Earth ... there was no Charlton Heston sitting on a throne ..........

B A ... you mean the German Monk who carried out some selective breeding back in the last century?

You really know too much things!

Yes it was apart from some very isolated parts, restocked from europe, no such thing as cornish amm,just local mongrels mainly carni.

Exmoor is undoubtedly regarded as very isolated by some metropolitans, and Wales and Scotland might as well be on mars !

Which esteemed scientist worked that one out??

Well - I can tell you who it wasn't ...

In 1669, a bloke called Jam Swammerdam discovered female sexual organs as he was examining a queen bee under a microscope - revealing for the first time that the King Bee was in fact female. (Pity no-one told Mick Jagger that: "I'm a King Bee baby, buzzin' around your hive ...")

And - despite five intense years of beekeeping, the mode of honey bee reproduction completely escaped him as he wrote, "I do not believe the male bees actually copulate with the females." Sure got that wrong.

Here's a pic of a Drone after mating ... dead of course (but I'd like to think he died happy).bee-smillie

iy2ydv.jpg

Dunno who first discovered the truth about this 'sexual suicide' - but if it was a bloke, I bet it made his eyes water !

LJ

Back