Could someone ID this please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Also, is it any good for honey bees?

13178843_10209274387719504_801218920812782564_n.jpg

If Buddleia is what you were thinking of then no, it is a tree.

Not sure if it is a Prunus padus, it looks similar to the pics on google, but also a bit different.
I'll check it side by side with my phone next time i walk past.

If it is a Prunus padus, according to the BBKA it's good for pollen and nectar in May.

Even if it's not the one I've seen in the street it looks nice, once I get a garden I might plant one...

Last edited:
I really don't think it' s a buddleia..

:iagree: flowers are very similar but the leaves aren't - bit early for buddleia anyway. It was an important plant out in Lesotho, two varieties (both white flowers) sprouting up everywhere you looked,they were more tree like than the purple type we have in waste land and river banks, much like willow bushes (if you stripped the leaves off! some were 10-15 feet tall - bees loved it.

Last edited:
Ideally need a picture of the leaves in more detail than the current picture provides. Presumably it's flowering now.

A picture of the leaves would be really helpful.

Agree not a buddleia, much too early.

Other option also from the prunus family is prunus lusitanica, or Portuguese laurel.

I'll try and get a better picture tomorrow on my way to work.

I've pretty much decided that I'll plant a Prunus padus, but I'm still curious to know what these particular plants are.

A picture of the leaves would be really helpful.

Agree not a buddleia, much too early.

Other option also from the prunus family is prunus lusitanica, or Portuguese laurel.

A view of the leaf would be a clincher but it certainly looks like like Portugese Laurel -https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1543

I had one in the garden of my last house, before I was a beekeeper so those magnificent flowers did not mean too much to me then.

CVB

It looks like prunus padus to me. There is one across the road from my house. It must have turned to follow the sun as a sapling, because it has an attractive twisted trunk.

Hope you have a big garden Zante, this tree is about 15 feet taller than the roof ridges of the houses, about the size of a mature horse chestnut tree.

Budlia (spelling) its not called the butterfly bush for nothing, god knows if honey bees can gather nectar from it though.

Edited i may be wrong as usual Erica.

Millet Definitely Bird cherry or Prunus Padus. Buddlea come mid summer and are not much use to bees really. these are!!!

Edited i may be wrong as usual Erica.

:D
Practice makes perfect ;)
I knew what it was as we had loads in the hedgerows where we used to live in Cumbria.
Every year some got attacked by some sort of massive infestation of web making caterpillar, leaving the trees completely stripped of leaves.

Sorry people, you'll have to wait a short while for the extra pictures, I haven't been going to that particular office for a few days now.

Hope you have a big garden Zante, this tree is about 15 feet taller than the roof ridges of the houses, about the size of a mature horse chestnut tree.

Thanks for the heads-up. I don't have a garden yet, but I am house-hunting right now, and a garden is one of the requirements. I'm planning to plant at least one tree for shade (and a benefit to bees would be a very welcome bonus) if there isn't one already.
I'll keep in mind the size of the tree when I actually have a garden and I'm in the process of deciding what to do about it.

Latest posts

Back