Conwy Honey Fair

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty beeks had honey for sale. Some complained their sales were down on last year but it was sunny in 2014 and the event was on a Saturday. We did ok. Lots of tales about lost queens and bad crops.

Thanks to everybody who supported today's Conwy Honey Fair, my 26th as organizer. Plenty of sellers and customers, weather OK most of the day. Plenty of interest in bees and beekeeping. Next year's Honey Fair is on Tuesday 13th September.

We used to go to Llandaniel Fab with our Icelandic Horses when the local doctor was an Icelander and he had an oval track to compete on. The most memorable visit was to a February weekend have a go show with 6" of snow on the ground. As we pulled into the gate with the horsebox a JCB was just finishing clearing the snow off the track. I have good memories of Anglesey :)

well, well, well, a very small world, I bet few on the forums, will know that place, I do! I used to live near bye!

I'll just say "Bryn Celli Ddu!"

I was thinking about you and a rain drenched stall today as the rain was hammering down on me, glad it was a little better for you at the fayre.
A few Ales around a nice wood fire tonight? Sounds like the perfect end to the day.

Was there plenty of honey about, still?

Enough I guess. Some sold out some didn't. I thought there were fewer stallholders, maybe folk cried off because of the weather forecast.
Stan got his mugshot in the local paper AGAIN

Attachments

• honey9.jpg
    honey9.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 99
Thanks to everybody who supported Conwy Honey Fair. Our collection in aid of Bees for Development raised £700. This will go towards a £15k project to teach beekeeping to cashew farmers in Ghana. Beehives near cashew trees can increase the yield of cashews from 5kg to 10kg per tree.
Next year's dates: Conwy Seed Fair, Friday 1st April (moved from the ancient date of 26th March, to avoid Easter congestion in Conwy) and Conwy Honey Fair, Tuesday 13th September.

Why midweek? Just makes it so difficult for the majority of people to attend. Royal charter and tradition are all very well but a weekend nearest to that date has to be better alround. Monmouth show is the same, held on a Thursday due to tradition. They are considering switching to a weekend and possibly a two day event because numbers are declining and stallholders are finding it's not worth the effort.

Honey Fair

Missed it, didn't know about it, sounds fun, I'll try and give it a go next year if I can and allowed !

Dave

Might keep a look out for a ferry deal and try a few days at it too next year, sounds like good fun.

Darren

We had a good morning looking around Conwy and sampling other peoples honey.
One chap had some honey infused with ginger, lovely. Have done some of mine with fresh root ginger. Good for winter colds.
The weather wasn`t too bad, heavy drizzle at one point.
Local ice -cream was good.

Missed it, didn't know about it, sounds fun, I'll try and give it a go next year if I can and allowed !

Dave
Yes, you would be allowed. See info for stallholders on our website under Conwy Fairs. Just google conwy honey fair. The dates are set by the 730-year old Royal Charter. Any change would need an act of parliament, for anything other than the very occasional date change at the Conwy Seed Fair (held on March 26th), which we move to avoid Easter congestion.

Back