Contributors wanted for beekeeping @ stackexchange

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astabada

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
For those of you that do not know stackexchange, it is an enthusiast powered website where people ask and answer questions. Both answers and questions can be rated by other users, which gain "reputation points" accordingly.

It is different from a forum in that one can only submit questions, and one can judge the competence of people asking/answering questions based on their "reputation".

Because they offer the possibility to create website with a specific theme, I thought it would be beneficial to the beekeeping community to be able to use this kind of resource, and created a beekeeping site within the stackexchange framework.

Because it's a free and community powered website, it needs volunteers to get the project working. If you are willing to contribute to it then register and get started!

See you there

Last edited:
Having seen some diabolically wrong and potentially dangerous responses found on some of the DIY websites where questions such as 'How do I fix my 1960's gas central heating boiler which has stopped working' are asked and then answered by people who, clearly, know little or nothing about the subject and assume no responsibility for their advice ... I live in fear of such a website as this becoming a source of knowledge !

Not wishing to pour cold water on this parade but .... how can the legitimacy and quality of responses be judged by 'reputation' scores - I'd rather ask on a specific forum where the chance is that there will be several people with established reputations and perhaps some previous posts that can be read and used in judgement.

And - Yes - I've looked at Stackexchange - it's been around in one form or another since 2008 and if you want to see what some other people are saying about it there's a Wiki entry for it as well.

so whats happened to polyhive ?

Having seen some diabolically wrong and potentially dangerous responses found on some of the DIY websites where questions such as 'How do I fix my 1960's gas central heating boiler which has stopped working' are asked and then answered by people who, clearly, know little or nothing about the subject and assume no responsibility for their advice ... I live in fear of such a website as this becoming a source of knowledge !

Not wishing to pour cold water on this parade but .... how can the legitimacy and quality of responses be judged by 'reputation' scores - I'd rather ask on a specific forum where the chance is that there will be several people with established reputations and perhaps some previous posts that can be read and used in judgement.

And - Yes - I've looked at ************* - it's been around in one form or another since 2008 and if you want to see what some other people are saying about it there's a Wiki entry for it as well.

The 'reputation' method works really well, but of course one needs a critical mass of experts to start the things up.

For those who asked for a wage/compensation, it may seem odd but there's even people recruiting on SE, although I must admit it might be easier for programmers, who have not to be there in person.

Finally, I noticed how SE has been censured. I hope I did not offend anyone mentioning the website here.

Lets see: someone starts a beekeeping thread on another site. Presumably he is judged by people who asked the questions so they know very little..

It could end up like Amazon's reviews with the type like " I ordered ABC model 2 but I really meant model 1 so only 1 star for not sending me model 1" and other rubbish..

Latest posts

Back