Conserving honeybees does not help wildlife.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple solution... Ban imports of non native bees and eradicate the other exotics that are already here?
As with Coypu... ( add signal crayfish, grey squirrels, bunny rabbits, Chinese mitten crab, Tree bumbles ( Hypnorum) and anything else not on this island when God created it!!!
:ohthedrama:

[retires to bunker puts on tin hat and waits for Beef. et al to spit their teeth out!!):gnorsi::gnorsi::gnorsi:

Wassail... Drink Hail!!

SO when are you going to top yourself as man is not an indigenous species having come from Africa?

It's amazing those of us in areas with no commercially grown nectar rich crops manage to keep bees at all.

And we have loads of other pollinators..in addition to bees. And beekeepers tend to plant flowers/shrubs and trees pollinators like - even guerilla planting some (but not me of course, you understand)

I saw light in the tunnel today.

I ate an apple, which was very big and no seeds in. Only a hole in the place of seeds. Soon pollinators are not needed.

Simple solution... Ban imports of non native bees and eradicate the other exotics that are already here?

I know you were just poking with the native stick for a reaction, as is your way, but be careful what you wish for - even in jest :sos:

About 8 years ago an article was published in an industry magazine called 'Conservation Land Management' or similar which argued that Apis mellifera was not native to the British Isles, having been brought in with the Romans. It was poorly researched and lacking in balance, from a scientist who appeared to have a grudge against honey bees, but it appeared credible, had high profile in the industry, and was hence believed by some of those genuinely trying to "do the right thing".

The Bee Farmers commissioned a review that repudiated this because some of their members were being threatened with ejection from managed countryside, e.g. organisations like National Trust, Ministry of Defence, Natural England (can't remember which of those in particular now).

Non natives species can and do have a cost to native SPECIES, however the introduction of the same species does not have as far as I am aware any impact, indeed in most case can improve the gene pool.
S

Non natives species can and do have a cost to native SPECIES, however the introduction of the same species does not have as far as I am aware any impact, indeed in most case can improve the gene pool.
S
:iagree:

BUT.....
The BOMBUS* appreciation society have expresses concern over the importation of "native" species reared in wompoopooland or whereever in EU and non EU countries, as may carry novel virus that could decimate the endemic population

(* used in the UK soft fruit.. particularly strawberry growing industry)

Exotic species are supposed to die at the end of the season as " not adapted" to our inclement weather.........

Mytten da

Think of the high density of honey bees in the Californian Almond pollination season....wild pollinators don't stand a chance!
Wild pollinators in californian almond orchards dont stand a chance because they are not present. The almond growers kill them.

The basic point is you cant compensate for for habitat loss with honeybees, that line of action makes things worse.

The solution is better habitat, then we can have honeybees and the other pollinators.
However, if you make the habitat better, then more 'other' pollinators will benefit, regardless of whether the intention is for honey bees or not

Last edited:
And the way to achieve that is to exterminate most or all of the human race.

Has that not been tried before?.... by the amount of rain we have been having and global warming melting the icecaps... perhaps that will not be long!!!

Yeghes da

A bit like arguing over two flies on a wall.

Humanity should look at its own over population and its own hand in the destruction of thousands of species before it worries its head over there being to many bees in a given area and the effect it could have on other species.

Opps there goes another 30 acres of rain forest while I was typing

Back