Confused Messages at Bee Group

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ... Yes and No ...in the LDH I also have 'ventilation' holes around the mesh floor and whilst these are covered in mesh on the inside there is a 65mm drop between the floor and the inspection board so not really a 'floor' as such.

Same with the Polys - open to the elements at the back of the hive below the mesh floor and again a healthy distance between the mesh floor and the inspection board.

No, No about if, "floors", okay you have a gap, but floors of sorts. Not clear open mesh.

OK a bit off topic... rearing queens ...I keep the incubator at 34 degrees with a Rh of 60 ~70 %....
given that swarm cells are generally place on the bottom for frames in the vortex of cooler air than within the body of the brood nest... is this correct???

Yeghes da

Bearing in mind that honey bee larvae and pupae are stenothermic I doubt they are being kept "cold".

OK a bit off topic... rearing queens ...I keep the incubator at 34 degrees with a Rh of 60 ~70 %....
given that swarm cells are generally place on the bottom for frames in the vortex of cooler air than within the body of the brood nest... is this correct???

Yeghes da

in a discussion the Scottish convention with a American professor about rearing brood in incubators... it turns out optimal is 75%+ RH for open cells

I still would like to know if the original speaker was "on the circuit" so I can watch out for a possible appearance at one of our meetings.

No GJ, he was just one of the members who had been press-ganged in at the last minute by the Chair who was supposed to give the talk but was unable to make it.

I don't think you will have to worry about him turning up anywhere else.

Andy

Back