Comb production

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddydog

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
150+ nucs and hives
Does anyone purposely use strong colonies to exclusively draw comb in supers?
As we know drawn comb is worth it's weight in gold when there is a flow on. Is it possible/sensible to heavily feed strong colonies weak syrup and get them to draw boxes of super foundation? Goes without saying, nothing stored by these colonies will go near the honey bucket.
Edit: only attempted during gaps

Not for supers but i have a couple a swarms that have developed well directly outside the garage that are now on 3 brood boxes each. I pop out every few days and pour a little more syrup in the top. This provides food frames for any nucs i make up and saves me robbing honey from others.

Depending on how you view things & manipulate, swarms are often a useful source of comb and brood to bolster other colonies. They are usually free and very eager to build comb, all you have to do is provide the right conditions for them. if the traits the queen inherits/produces proves to be good its a big bonus.
Why should you not use a good colony as a "comb builder", honey production aside ?

They build comb to store brood or honey in, you will probably find that, as they draw the comb, they will fill it with syrup - what will you do with that?

Extract, dilute, and return to the same colony? I could shuffle frames around in the usual manner to get them to draw evenly but the time involved might mean it's not worth the effort.
I've read about a commercial guy that uses osr to draw comb for the Heather and thought it may be possible in a 'managed' way.
Doesn't sound particularly feasible so I might just try it on one to see.

Bees will draw combs when they need it. AS good to draw foundations. If you have crystallized honey combs, AS will eate then in a week and draw with honey the foundation. 3 honey combs / box.

Thick foundation is a good source of wax. When langstroth foundation is 100 g, bees can draw halfway the cells with that wax and they do it quickly.

With my own wax pressing foundations costs to me £3/kg.

Extract, dilute, and return to the same colony? I could shuffle frames around in the usual manner to get them to draw evenly but the time involved might mean it's not worth the effort.
I've read about a commercial guy that uses osr to draw comb for the Heather and thought it may be possible in a 'managed' way.
Doesn't sound particularly feasible so I might just try it on one to see.

Strange habits!

I give foundations mainly in the main yield. Drawing foundations prevents swarming fever, when flow is at its best.

Strange habits!

I give foundations mainly in the main yield. Drawing foundations prevents swarming fever, when flow is at its best.

Not a habit Finski, just thinking aloud :)

You're always talking about how expensive it is in lost yield when bees have to make wax.

Latest posts

Back