Comb built on queen cells- a bad sign?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beekake

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I tried grafting larvae for the first time ever last week. I was reasonably happy with the number of queen cells produced- 9 of 21 (i only want one or two queens from them!). Anyway, when I transferred some of them into nucs today, I noticed several of the queen cells had been extensively over-developed...in that the bees had built comb around the cells. The queen cells were almost 'buried' within the outer comb, and had lost their classic cone shape.

When I got home tonight, I opened up two of the cells that I hadn't used; one, which was surrounded by comb, had a dead larva in it. The other, a normal looking cell (not surrounded by comb, your classic queen cell), had a properly developing queen inside.

I've watched a few grafting videos online, and read about grafting techniques, but I've not seen or read anything about this 'over-combing', or if it signifies that the queen inside the cell may be doomed.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

It is called lacing. Often happens if a flow occurs while the cells are being incubated. A frame of foundation near the cell bar frame inhibits it. Tips of viable cells usually left clear. You are doing well.

Thanks- I think maybe one of the cells I transferred had the tip built over... so might not be viable. there is certainly a flow on...the final week of the OSR has coincided with sunny warm days... the apiary is so noisy and busy.

I will cease to worry then, and hope for more good weather over the next few weeks so the queens have a chance for mating flights.

I trim the cells with scissors but have found the queen is able to chew her way out.

Latest posts

Back