colour marking Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdod

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 ish lol
just wondering how many people use the colour code when marking their queens or do you stick with a colour that is easy to see...

I marked mine red last year as red pen came with my kit so I think I will keep marking red rather than buy another pen any one else do this?

I use yellow because I have a yellow pen:)
My avatar shows the colour/ year sequence , I did start in that fashion years ago but I never had the appropriate colour at the appropriate time :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started last year and had my first go at queen marking, I used white as thought it might be easiest to see.

The red and green are a bit limiting for those of us that are colourblind … I use blue or white, or something metallic and shiny for a queen in an observation hive.

I only use white.
I mark the year of the queen on the record card.

I only use white.
I mark the year of the queen on the record card.

Ditto. Not so important unless you are selling nucs or hives then I think queenie should be marked correct way.

Some use a totally non-standard colour to indicate 'their' Qs.

Others practise their marking technique (on drones) using a colour different to any of their Qs.

And some beeks mark brood frames with the 'official' Q colour for the year, so that they can tell how old they are. Brood comb ought to be removed after about 3 years, for hygiene/disease control.
Having your initials or postcode on every frame (and perhaps written on the inside of the hive boxes) is a theft deterrent.
You don't have to keep your marking pen exclusively for marking Qs!

Incidentally, the particular Posco pens that are most commonly recommended can be found on eBay in their full range of colours (and quite cheaply too).

I use whatever I have in my pocket at the time. Last year I managed red to start with, lost the red and then used white.
Cazza

And some beeks mark brood frames with the 'official' Q colour for the year, so that they can tell how old they are. Brood comb ought to be removed after about 3 years, for hygiene/disease control.
Having your initials or postcode on every frame (and perhaps written on the inside of the hive boxes) is a theft deterrent.
You don't have to keep your marking pen exclusively for marking Qs!

The best ideas are always the most simple :thanks:

Dayglow orange.

I've used white so far because that's what I have. The queen was easy to find except when they were foraging on Himalayan Balsam. I've bought queens marked pink and yellow as well and personally found the pink queen most easily.

I use a dayglo pink for all my queens whatever year, but make a note in my book what year they are.

I only have one pen, which is yellow, so when I find my queen, that's the colour she gets. I've yet to have a queen last longer than a whole year, mostly I'm just grateful to find her and mark her.

I know the theory, I'm just not there yet.

That's a good question!

Personally I endeavour to use the correct system, but last year one of my queens just refused to be found from the exact point in time when I ordered a marking pen on fleabay onwards. So if retirement is on the cards for her, I'll have to work the situation out on facts other than the absence of a marking. (By the way, she can pretty much always be found - just depends on how much vigour you want to put into the search.)

I do also keep a good record of what is going on (an A4 for each hive with general information about it and a detailed note on every inspection/feed/etc), but I'd rather have backup information on the queen herself in case of any complex manipulations. Moreover, I find that writing things down doesn't always happen in a timely fashion, as I keep the record at home.

The other things I've read about were putting swappable numbers on the hives and, as someone helpfully already mentioned above, marking frames. All good techniques, if you derive a benefit from them. I haven't done either yet, but only because of a lack of organisation. A New Year's resolution, perhaps, - more thorough pre-visit planning and gathering of stuff required the night before?

Kind regards,

Ana

Last edited:
I mark my queens with the colour for the year they were mated, although it seems that the POSCA pen paint does seem to wear off after time.

In the spring the queens marks are 'touched up' or marked if they weren't done late last season, which could also indicate a late supercedure queen is in the hive.

Touching up Queens where I live could get you into all kinds of trouble :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back