Collecting Swarms from old hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyJThompson

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, my first post so be kind! I am going to collect 2 swarms that have taken residence in 2 very old hives I have 2 spare brood boxes, floors, crown boards and roofs but only 10 drawn brood frames. New frames ordered last week, spoke to company today and they think they will be with me next Tuesday. The question is if I collect on Saturday and have only 5 frames in each hive will it cause a problem will they construct much brace comb in thy time. Any constructive comments greatfull.

Andy

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I can only say from my own experience with my own swarms. They build as if the world is about to end. One, this year, has drawn five 14 x 12 frames filling four with brood and one with stores in one week. Having moved them to a full size box they have drawn four of the five in four days and I have put a super on.
You would have to dummy each lot of five but that might not be enough room.
Have you no fellow beekeeper who can help you out?
How far are you from Wragby? Can you drive over to collect what you need?

Last edited:
Make up with super frames (with foundation preferably). KISS principle. Put them at the outside, or place them furthest away from the wax building, of course.

Are there no frames in these old hives to transfer?

Some of my hives are over ten years old. Age is never a measure of condition. I would not be surprised if there are lots of hives in use that are even older than me!

RAB

do the old hives have frames in them?

5 frames each should be ok - if cutting out comb with brood from old hives you could always just tie it to some suitable wooden strips to act as temporary top bars.

otherwise just use dummy boards.

I believe the old frames which are in bad condition are commercial frames they have created brace comb under the roof.

95fe3d1f-6dd1-b1bf.jpg

Hi everyone, my first post so be kind! I am going to collect 2 swarms that have taken residence in 2 very old hives I have 2 spare brood boxes, floors, crown boards and roofs but only 10 drawn brood frames. New frames ordered last week, spoke to company today and they think they will be with me next Tuesday. The question is if I collect on Saturday and have only 5 frames in each hive will it cause a problem will they construct much brace comb in thy time. Any constructive comments greatfull.

Andy

On the assumption that you dont need drawn frames (and you dont for swarms), I should have some spare if you happen to be passing near my way. PM me if you want.

I had 20 national brood frames and wax delivered today, I am 5 miles from you give me a shout if you want them and let me have some back next week.
You have my number on earlier PM

good calls Mons ab and pete D - i was going to offer as nearby(ish) tonight but pete d trumps me and i would rather use the gear myself first thing if at all possible.

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and the offers will see what turns up in post tomorrow. I think Pete is closest so will pm if I need help.

Just ring if you need them. I have 20 with foundation just delivered so just need making up. Also have another 50 frames (2nds) but no wax, again just need assembling
All DN4's

OOPs, sorry. Missed Pete. Was thinking you were closer to Boston (Sutterton, not Sutton Bridge).

Regards, RAB

just for interest (if you are) I ordered these 20 brood and 50 super frames + foundation on Tuesday and got them this morning, less than 48 hrs. Oh they came from North Wales.

Not a bad price.......
20 brood frames came out at £20.42 inc vat, 20 foundation £12.60 so £33 for 20 complete = £1.65 each.
Supers £31.15 for 50 frames and £20.80 for the foundation, so £52 for 50 complete = £1.04 each.
£8.90 postage though so add 13p per frame.

how does that compare with what you paid, oh and I got them in under 48 hrs

Pete

agree - just transfer frames over (or put a new brood box and frames on top of the old ones and then add QE once HM upstairs.).

What I will say is proceed with caution.

It's only hearsay but it seems that the local EFB outbreak/scare has come from a colony rescued from an an abandoned hive. Monitor the bees closely after transferring and inform your local inspector about the abandoned equipment.

Back