Collecting smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We know a joiner that leaves bags of shavings outside for people to collect. Egg boxes, rolled up cardboard. It's definitely a skill which we didn't have for months and months lighting the smoker. It used to run out after two hives, very frustrating even after watching goodness knows how many videos. But now it's mastered, although we try to use very little, a puff at the entrance and a little puff removing the crown board. I'm not saying that sometimes we use it more, but we try not to

I wonder what the wider consensus would be?
Do you buy smoker fuel, are you recycling wood to make alsorts of hive equipment, the more we can do such things the better.

Well, I'm no more going to buy smoker fuel than I'm going to buy a bonfire.

Regards the second part of your question, I come from a line of beekeeping bodgers who made/make as much as possible. I've already posted the two colour photos, one's a standard dadant super and the other is a bs shallow on the dadant footprint (board wasn't quite wide enough for a dadant shallow) both of which were cut from scrap floorboards that we rescued. The black and white photo is of course from a previous generation and every hive was scratch built with hand tools, only the frames and excluder were purchased.Screenshot_20211106_094655.jpgScreenshot_20211106_094511.jpgScreenshot_20211106_094559.jpg

Last edited:
I posted this before. Following a visit from a Canadian beek I now use the dried flower/seed heads of the Stag-horn Sumach (Rhus typhina). They keep smoking well as the seed has an oil content. As can be seen from the photo I have a good supply as 3-4 seed heads lasts about an hour and doesn't choke me in the shed when inspecting
20211106_110325.jpg

I’ve heard others say it’s good
My stags horn flowers but they always drop off. I’ve never seen the dark winter flowers at all. Are the bushes male and female by any chance?

I’ve just started cutting all my cardboard packaging into strips & roll it up tightly with a bit of masking tape to hold it. Roll it so it just drops into the smoker
Me too but using a bit of wire (that from old wired foundation frames works well )instead of masking tape.

Me too but using a bit of wire (that from old wired foundation frames works well )instead of masking tape.
I use untreated cat litter pellets.
once lit will smoulder for hours .
for quick jobs, egg boxes .

I’ve heard others say it’s good
My stags horn flowers but they always drop off. I’ve never seen the dark winter flowers at all. Are the bushes male and female by any chance?

Yes Dani, Staghorn Sumac is dioecious...male and female flowers on separate plants. Can be a major honey plant here when the weather cooperates. A nice vanilla-like flavour. Yes, the male flowers fall off after they've done their job. Leaves an empty spike at the ends of the branches.

Thanks Michael. Doesn’t it spread though? Ours sends out runners metres away in the middle of the field.

Thanks Michael. Doesn’t it spread though? Ours sends out runners metres away in the middle of the field.

Yes, it spreads by underground runners. You'll see groups of male or female plants...all clones. If you want tome female clones, go find them and transplant. Careful where you plant them...they spread out. Great hedgerow plant.

Yes, it spreads by underground runners. You'll see groups of male or female plants...all clones. If you want tome female clones, go find them and transplant. Careful where you plant them...they spread out. Great hedgerow plant.
A mission. Thanks. We have plenty of space.

You really don't have Fomes fomentarius (commonly known as the tinder fungus)? We over here use it almost everybody I know. One piece in smoker last and last and last.. Allegedly has also some antiviral effect on bees..

You really don't have Fomes fomentarius (commonly known as the tinder fungus)? We over here use it almost everybody I know. One piece in smoker last and last and last.. Allegedly has also some antiviral effect on bees..
It's fairly common in Scotland and the North of England but becomes more rare further South. I've never seen it but I know of its ability to keep smouldering or be used as tinder for lighting fires - Has been used for this purpose since early man was around ....

" Otzi the Iceman, a 5000 year old man whose body was preserved in a glacier in the Ötztal Alps on the border between Austria and Italy, where it was discovered by hikers in 1991. It seems likely that Otzi was carrying this material in order to light a fire at the close of a day whose end he did not live to see. "

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back