Coldsore cream

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello. I am plagued by cold sores. I get several a year. I came across an article on google talking about a propolis lip cream that works wonders for cold sores.

I am just wondering if anyone has tried making their own cold sore cream from propolis and if you have a recipe?

Thank you

I will have to try that

Hello. I am plagued by cold sores. I get several a year. I came across an article on google talking about a propolis lip cream that works wonders for cold sores.
Thank you

I know a few people who have been really impresed with the effects of propolis tincture applied to cold sores. I think they just dab a bit of tincture straight on.

I'm not 100% certain (or making any medical claims for an unlicensed product..) but I suspect that as well as whatever is in the propolis the propylene glycol used as a solvent in the tincture may have also some effect on the cold sore too. There's been a few studies on propylene glycol as a viricide.

Great stuff. I will have some prepared for next time. Thank you

Cold sores are caused by the herpes virus. It will keep recurring during periods of stress or possibly even intense/extended sunlight. As soon as it starts to appear, treat with acyclovir from your chemist. This is a very contagious virus so obviously, be aware of the risk of spreading to others through cups/kissing/etc

I've had cold sores for 35 years, tried just about everything on them. Used acyclovir cream mostly until 15 years ago when I medic on a diving forum I'm on recommended using a laser pointer, one of the red ones on a key ring that you use for presentations.

Over the past 15 years I've tested it as carefully as possible against everything else, including doing nothing, and found that if you hold the laser pointer over the cold sore for a couple of minutes a few times a day, it significantly reduces the effect and if you get it on as soon as you feel that tingle, 70% of the time it doesn't even surface. If it does surface, keep doing the same thing as it speeds up the healing time and reduces the intensity.

The other thing I've noticed too is that I a few years ago I changed from a vegetarian diet to eating meat, after 25 years of being vegetarian. My cold sores have become much less regular.

Try the laser pointer though, I recommend it to anyone who has sores.

Can you still buy these pointers?

Latest posts

Back