cold water cleaning - anything else used?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Cleaning stainless steel extractors / settling tanks etc .. - Apart from using simple cold water, does anybody recommend using anything else?

As above. Personally I don't want any chems involved in cleaning honey kit.

PH

Cleaning stainless steel extractors / settling tanks etc .. - Apart from using simple cold water, does anybody recommend using anything else?

I use warm water. It dilutes sugar crystals. Softening with water over night helps .
Cold water makes nothing.

I favour keeping tanks in the sun. It heats and melts honey.

Nothing washing chemicals then. They do not help if you do not brush. Pressure washer is good.

Hot water melts wax on surfaces.

Try and see.

Washing up liquids.... No. They are usually meant to dilute fats.

Last edited:

What, exactly are we talking about here?

• Post-delivery clean?
  • Cleaning out after use?
  • preparing for reuse?
  • preparing for winter storage?
  • Preparation for new season after winter storage in the shed?
  • Sterilising after contact with rodents?

In all but one of the above, hot soapy water followed with several vigorous hot water rinses & flush out with cold water.

Last edited:
You have eyes in your head. It is best in washing job.

Like uncapping and sieving things. Only warm water helps to loose crystallized honey.. No idea to use any soap. Not difficult to notice that.

Last edited:
If you run some water over the sides and bottom and leave it to 'soak' into the crud. Come back in 15 minutes and it's all loosened up and cleans up a treat- same for plastic honey storage buckets.

If you run some water over the sides and bottom and leave it to 'soak' into the crud. Come back in 15 minutes and it's all loosened up and cleans up a treat- same for plastic honey storage buckets.

It depends.... But I have allways warm water a big pot when I extract (80 litre)

To slow to wait that honey loosens by itself. So many things to clean.

Back