C'mon guv we want a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
This colony "slipped through the net" of the 7 day inspection cycle.:hairpull:

It is a swarm from my bait hive which had drawn 8 frames of a National and was growing nicely when inspected on 15 June.

On the 7 July this is what I found!! Sorry first pic is out of focus.

Neglect the 7 day cycle during a nectar flow at your peril.

interesting wax pattern. chunky honey coming soon?

i never know how often at this time of year. half say don't int fer other say we could get swarms get in there.

Its a Comb Maze.

Be a talking point if you can get the honey out...

That will teach you to leave a crown board with a hole in it with the hole open ... tile over the hole for the future ... preferably on top of a super ! No place for holes in crown boards unless you have a feeder over the top of it ...

That will teach you to leave a crown board with a hole in it with the hole open ... tile over the hole for the future ... preferably on top of a super ! No place for holes in crown boards unless you have a feeder over the top of it ...

:iagree: However in mitigation we have had very high temperatures - mid 20s SHADE temp - so a bit of ventilation wasn't a problem. Also if I had put a solid crown board on I am sure they would have swarmed (again) the extra space to "expand" into saved the day:winner1st:

:iagree: However in mitigation we have had very high temperatures - mid 20s SHADE temp - so a bit of ventilation wasn't a problem. Also if I had put a solid crown board on I am sure they would have swarmed (again) the extra space to "expand" into saved the day:winner1st:

Yes it probably did save your bacon ! Mind you ... a square of 50mm thick Kingspan under the lid would keep the actual hive temperature a bit lower without the need for ventilation ... don't even mention matchsticks ! :icon_204-2:

Mj

Thanks for great pics.

.....interesting comb formation, are you anywhere near CERN?

richard

Latest posts

Back