clingfilm problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisfnvs

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as we have had recently, we feed three hives with some pollen substitute, cutting one block into four pieces covering one of the open edge with some clingfilm to keep it from going hard, then placing the other open edge onto the feed hole in the crown board, on returning a week later the bees had eaten all of the pollen sub, but also chewed at the clingfilm making its surface very rough, thous making the bees legs get stuck to the rough surface, one colony had even pulled the clingfilm down through a supper and a 14x12 BB and half way out of the entrance reducing it to a two bee space, lucky we saw it in time and removed it (not a very easy job i might add), we will not be using clingfilm again in the hive. Chris

This early spring I put my fondant in a ziplock plastic bag and punched a hole in the side of the bag using an apple corer I then put the bag over the feed hole (lining up the holes) and this worked very well.

Cut smallish hole in lid

Why do that? Cling film covering the fondant in store (with a lid as well) and on the CB (without lid) with a couple slashes, to allow bees entry is perfectly adequate. Easy to remove, easy to change the container if required.

RAB

Bees can handle cling film usually no bother, more to the point is why are you feeding pollen sup in Autumn?

PH

Hi polyhive, it was neopoll that i gave them and not the usual pollen sub and only feed a little piece to a few hives, in the directions for use it does state it is ideal for winter feeding to get the colony through the cold winter months, or can be used to give them a boost in the spring, my main feed has been syrup with Hivemakers recipe and i intend to give some fondant in the next few weeks, i am sorry i did not give full details in my OP, the point i was trying to make was that the bees had a problem with the clingflim, judging by the replies others have not had the same problem, my bees were getting entangled in it after the surface of the clingflim had became roughened, i can only assume after being chewed by them, it must just be my bees they do seem to like chewing things! thanks for all your replies Chris

Last edited:
, i can only assume after being chewed by them, it must just be my bees they do seem to like chewing things! thanks for your all replies Chris

Not just your bees Chris. I used clingfilm for the first time last year and had exactly the same thing happen. I will go back to no cling if I use fondant this year. It was more trouble than it was worth.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back