Clearing suppers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Last year I tried blowing full suppers of bees out of the boxes rather than use clearer boards! This was hectic and resulting in some dam right angry bees lol.. This year I have used clearer boards then as removing the boxes, I blow the remaining bees out with the blower, oh how well this has worked for me, was actually enjoyable this time :)

Well done. Everyone finds the right way for themselves! ..... Eventually!
E

Clearer boards and blower is my preferred technique at present too, though earlier when I needed a quick turn around fume boards and blower did the trick.

Cleared 40 supers the other day using the blower. Took less than an hour to clear and load. Single sting where I kneeled on one. 20 minutes later I returned to pick up the bee ramps and it was like I'd never been.

Cleared 40 supers the other day using the blower. Took less than an hour to clear and load. Single sting where I kneeled on one. 20 minutes later I returned to pick up the bee ramps and it was like I'd never been.

That's nothing, last year I swam to twelvereef and back in a day.

Last edited:
Last year I tried blowing full suppers of bees out of the boxes rather than use clearer boards! This was hectic and resulting in some dam right angry bees lol.. This year I have used clearer boards then as removing the boxes, I blow the remaining bees out with the blower, oh how well this has worked for me, was actually enjoyable this time :)

Fume board and blower to clear last few bees before loading works well for me.
S

Clearer boards and blower is my preferred technique at present too, though earlier when I needed a quick turn around fume boards and blower did the trick.

I bought that blower that you mentioned a week or so ago but haven't used it yet. Apparently it's also good for leaf blowing :laughing-smiley-004

Is there much difference in time, using fume board compared to clearer? I'm gain for saving time :)

As a beginner, I set off one morning with a clearer board intending to start the process, only to find one super full of capped honey and almost empty of bees, while another super was still being filled and was covered in bees.

I guess with all the frames full and capped there was no point in the bees being on those frames. So I shook off the few bees in that super and carried it away. Back at the car, I shook off a few remaining bees and that was it. This is called serendipity. Please note that serendipity is a rare commodity and usually only available to inexperienced idiots.

Is there much difference in time, using fume board compared to clearer? I'm gain for saving time :)

The time saved is really on having to go back with clearer boards, fume boards and the blower start making sense if you need the supers back out fast or if you're at a far flung apiary, I'd stick to clearer boards otherwise as they're a bit less disruptive.

The secret with fume boards is getting them to work, something I've failed miserably at over several attempts. My latest failure was with a fan driven one which should have been the bees knees.
Hats off to those who get them to work, one thing I do know is you need a warm day or a source of heat to heat the metal lid of the Thornes type fume boards.

I will try fume board next year I think. I'm getting busy more each year and there are a lot times one trip could well make my life a lot simpler. Thanks

Depends if you have the time to use clearer boards.
I use a fume board with a blower to get determined 'hangers on' off. I can clear a super in 5-10 mins compared to a clearer board which needs to go on for some time. Fume boards are definitely more disruptive as you are forcing the bees to move away and you will notice them gathering by the entrance but less so than just using a blower.
S

Depends if you have the time to use clearer boards.
I use a fume board with a blower to get determined 'hangers on' off. I can clear a super in 5-10 mins compared to a clearer board which needs to go on for some time. Fume boards are definitely more disruptive as you are forcing the bees to move away and you will notice them gathering by the entrance but less so than just using a blower.
S

That's three and a half to eight and a half minutes longer to clear a super than it takes maddydog to clear them and load them using a blower, takes me about the same time as you state, we must be doing something wrong :rolleyes:

That's three and a half to eight and a half minutes longer to clear a super than it takes maddydog to clear them and load them using a blower, takes me about the same time as you state, we must be doing something wrong :rolleyes:

Or hes taking half a hive of bees with him onto his truck, I would rather leave them behind makes unloading a lot easier and less painful :).

Lol I'll video it next time for you if you want?

10 hive apiary, 40 supers between them. Ramp for each hive. Tripod stand in front of hive and pickup an arms reach away. Crack super, blast with back pack leaf blower and place super on truck with a crownboard on top move on to next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back