Clearer boards made cheap.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just purchased two rhombus clearing boards. Why do you think they work better in the corners rather than the rhombus fixed in the middle?
Watching the bees go in and out the other day, I noticed that they have a way in and a way out.
They land on the board, walk thro the entrance and turn sharp left into front corner and then climb up the inside.......

the bees that were leaving the hive were coming out of the middle from as far back as I could see.

With PH's version can you leave these on for 24 hours or do the bee's find there way back in that time - visiting hive's thursday evening so trying to work out if i can put it on then or come back early friday morning and extract in evening.

With PH's version can you leave these on for 24 hours or do the bee's find there way back in that time - visiting hive's thursday evening so trying to work out if i can put it on then or come back early friday morning and extract in evening.

Rhombus is quite quick.
PH claimed his version was even quicker.
Morning to afternoon is plenty.

My thinking (just me) is that it makes more sense to add whatever replacement super(s) when fitting the clearer board, rather than after removing the full supers ...
I've then just put the coverboard on the clearer board, and left it overnight before removing the clearer board.

What HH was asking was - if you left the escapes on for longer than 24 hours would the bees find their way back in to the super. I recall PH saying that he'd left some on for days and they hadn't found their way back in.

What HH was asking was - if you left the escapes on for longer than 24 hours would the bees find their way back in to the super. ...

And I was trying to indicate that one could hope for clearance in a matter of a few hours, if that fitted better with his schedule! :)

Harvesting bees from supers yesterday, I noticed that where the frames were sealed, there were few bees as there is no further work for them to do, so if your honey is properly sealed, then there would be little reason for the bees to want to return.

Just tries to make one for my langstroth poly hives think I've messed it up put holes in wrong place as v shape is visible will they work can someone think of quick fix?

null_zpsedad8fb0.jpg

null_zpsf8925b1d.jpg

Last edited:
Just tries to make one for my langstroth poly hives think I've messed it up put holes in wrong place as v shape is visible will they work can someone think of quick fix?

null_zpsedad8fb0.jpg

null_zpsf8925b1d.jpg

Move the placy out a tad and fit another bit of batten to block the back.

or just drill another hole closer to the edge - it will still work

Went with that solution as im lazy and it was the simplist - finally get to test it tonight against a porter. Gonna put it on my "lively" hive that has just started laying so should be quicker at clearing the buggers the follow me!

The standard rhombus works pretty well for me.

I think that the bigger the 'big hole' (or holes, total), within the centre of the rhombus, then the quicker it will clear.
I suspect that one big hole might be better than a few smaller ones adding up to the same area - bees being bees, some will choose to wander around and explore the alternatives, unaware that all the holes lead to the same place.
The holes in the photo looked a bit skimpy.
The holes don't have to be round! A jigsaw might help.

I think that the bigger the 'big hole' (or holes, total), within the centre of the rhombus, then the quicker it will clear.
I suspect that one big hole might be better than a few smaller ones adding up to the same area - bees being bees, some will choose to wander around and explore the alternatives, unaware that all the holes lead to the same place.

The photograph was taken on an angle hence why they dont look right - it was a 28mm hole cutter circle tool I used. I have just improvised and made done a hole next to it. I need to make another board up so will do a bigger hole (will need to but a new hole cutter as I dont have a jigsaw either).

I suspect that one big hole might be better than a few smaller ones adding up to the same area...

The photograph was taken on an angle hence why they dont look right - it was a 28mm hole cutter circle tool I used. I have just improvised and made done a hole next to it. I need to make another board up so will do a bigger hole (will need to but a new hole cutter as I dont have a jigsaw either).

I think you may be missing my point.
One of mine is from Thºrne's. (A sale 'bargin'.)
The single central round hole on it is 10cm across ...
It works very well.

// about 4x the diameter, so about 4x the radius means that the area of hole is about 16x. But you have two holes in the photo I commented on, so the total area of your holes is about 8x smaller than T's product - which do you expect to be quicker?

Last edited:
I think that was what Poly Hive said to do though..... Only taking what he said...

Doesn't help that his original photos have gone now

If you had bigger holes they may clear quicker but if you are leaving the board in place for 24 hours I'm not sure it will matter.

Give it a try and see what happens.

I might be being daft, but I cannot see the original pics. has the server move removed them?

try searching from DIY posts from Mons Ab - he posted pic of his most excellent version.
respect due.

although have just checked and his pic is gone too - tesco bag and all.

MonsA - any chance of reposting it in all it's glory?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back