Clear glass punted bottles for making and showing mead

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psafloyd

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
Can anyone tell me what is required for a mead bottle? I know it needs to have a punt of some description (though I've head it doesn't need to be very large) but should it be shouldered like a claret bottle, or sloped more like an armagnac?

If you can also point me in the direction of the right type, I'd be grateful, as I've tried many online places but only found one punted bottle but wasn't sure about shoulders.

Many thanks.

Best place to try is a home brewing shop as they will bootles to sell of the type you are looking for. There are plenty of them around and many are on the internet. Frankly, as the Comp Sec for the local Wine Circle and also a contribitor to a large National Open wine show, the punting of the bottom of a bottle is not critical these days and the judges we employ are qualified by the National Guild of Beer and Winemakers http://www.ngwbj.org.uk/guild_history.html so they must know what is what and I have not in recent years seen a quibble over punting. The main point for competition wines is that the bottles are clear glass.

Best place to try is a home brewing shop as they will bootles to sell of the type you are looking for. There are plenty of them around and many are on the internet. Frankly, as the Comp Sec for the local Wine Circle and also a contribitor to a large National Open wine show, the punting of the bottom of a bottle is not critical these days and the judges we employ are qualified by the National Guild of Beer and Winemakers http://www.ngwbj.org.uk/guild_history.html so they must know what is what and I have not in recent years seen a quibble over punting. The main point for competition wines is that the bottles are clear glass.

Thanks for that.

The reason I ask is because I heard of a quibble last year where a judge wanted to chuck someone out because there wasn't/enough of a punt in the bottle.

However, I've also heard people say they have never had any problems with a small punt –-smaller than is supposed to be expected.

Depends on the show. But the national honey show require a clear bottle, with a shoulder, punt in the bottom (if that's what they call that dimple) and a cork stopper and that is one of the corks with a bit of plastic round the top so it can be removed easily. Fill the bottle to one inch of the top and good luck.

Depends on the show. But the national honey show require a clear bottle, with a shoulder, punt in the bottom (if that's what they call that dimple) and a cork stopper and that is one of the corks with a bit of plastic round the top so it can be removed easily. Fill the bottle to one inch of the top and good luck.

one inch from the bottom of the predicted cork level. overfill and the cork will start to come out

one inch from the bottom of the predicted cork level. overfill and the cork will start to come out

i use plasti corks while aging and the plastic top corks only for showing, so i sample six bottles then top up the best two bottles to 1" with the second best bottles then recork with the show corks

my tip, is you should use the best long leafed black tea you can find to produced the tannin

One of my favourites is cinnamon for tannin when making my mead.

However, if we are talking competitions, this may not be allowed?

If I understand it correctly, only Honey, water and yeast is eligible in show mead.

**disclaimer** I am not a show goer, and the rules may be different from show to show!!

One of my favourites is cinnamon for tannin when making my mead.

However, if we are talking competitions, this may not be allowed?

If I understand it correctly, only Honey, water and yeast is eligible in show mead.

**disclaimer** I am not a show goer, and the rules may be different from show to show!!

I think the only extra additives other than the honey, water and yeast is some form of citrus and a yeast nutrient.

Made some nice mead last year, but it is reluctant to clear, but going down well all the same. I just hope some of it clears before the national honey show. I also plan to do some melomel this year, mead and elderflower.

Thanks, Tom, Pete and MM for the advice.

I think the only extra additives other than the honey, water and yeast is some form of citrus and a yeast nutrient.

Made some nice mead last year, but it is reluctant to clear, but going down well all the same. I just hope some of it clears before the national honey show. I also plan to do some melomel this year, mead and elderflower.

from the national honey show leaflet on making mead under nutrients

The protein and vitamins are associated with the pollen content. There is very little yeast nutrient present
in honey. It is therefore very important to add some to ensure an efficient performance by the yeast cells.

A good recognised formula for yeast nutrient is as follows: Tartaric Acid-80 grains Potassium
Phosphate-30 grains Ammonium Sylphate-60 grains Citric Acid-55 grains Magnesium Sulphate-8
grains
This formula can be made up by any retail pharmacist. It is used in the proportion of 1 level teaspoonful to
the gallon and is added to the honey and water with the yeast. It is possible to buy yeast nutrient in tablet
form, in this case one table is sufficient for a gallon.
Honey may also be deficient in tannin, this can be added in the form of grape tannin in dilution, or I
cupful of fairly strong tea to the gallon

Interesting Geoff but it would require me to deviate from your award winning recipe. However perhaps this year may just do a gallon with some tea on it to get a compromise.

I also plan to do some melomel this year, mead and elderflower.

I have some on the go. Bottled it a few weeks ago and it's quite strong :)
I must say though the elderflower is very overpowering. I also made some with our own raspberries and that is lovely.....and such a gorgeous colour. Can't wait to sample it properly for this Christmas.

Sounds nice I made some elderflower wine last year and just loved the flavour and the smell. Also raspberry wine perhaps the best wine I have made and the colour just great to. Looking forward to the melomel.

Back