Cleaning honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For ALL NEW BEEKEEPERS reading this ...

I don't know how many times it has to be said ...

OPEN FEEDING IS A VERY STUPID IDEA - in all circumstances.

If you wash the inside of the extractor, initially, with a smaller amount of clean cold water and dissolve as much of the honey that you can then the residual 'honey water' makes a great basis for mead (you will have to add some more honey to get the SG up but why waste the washings). Alternatively, the washings can be fed back to your bees in a normal rapid feeder or Ashworth feeder on the hive.
Cleaned down with cooled boiled water and straight into my elderflower mead

There is 40C water too. It is better than cold.

But cold water works as well when it dilutes the honey.

I had to clean mine last week, a small amount of washing up liquid and then half filled with cold water, i then give it a good old spin with the handle for several minutes, i opened the gate valve to drain it then give it a good old rinse with cold water which left it looking brand new and unused.

Took mine into yard, mounted on wooden blocks, low pressure hose.. clean in 20 minutes.

What's the fuss?

Cold water only... outside with hose with spray attachment... cold water makes any wax pieces brittle and fast water flow dislodges it. Honey just disolves away.

Back