Chronic Paralysis (CBPV) ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canary Honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I saw this last night.
https://youtu.be/pfHwzWhd5A0

Showing all the signs of the virus as described by Ted Hooper.
A larger than normal number of dead bees had been seen below the hive entrance previously.

The hive coincidentally as a virgin queen from a completely different strain, anything else that can be done or just fingers crossed?

This condition would explain a lot, as they are my hardest working hive but seem to have half the population of the other hive, I expect that the virus has been effecting them for some time?

Last edited:
Showing all the signs of the virus as described by Ted Hooper.
A larger than normal number of dead bees had been seen below the hive entrance previously.

There is a description of cbpv on beebase (http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=275). I didn't see any bloated abdomens or shiny bees so I don't think it is cbpv.
I once saw cbpv on a FERA disease recognition course at York and the shaking is much more pronounced. The bees appeared to be shivering on the top of the frames.

Looking at the Fera video of the bees on top of frames shaking and shiney... I saw similar at an apiary up the line from Totnes a couple of years back
The Lady beekeeper was treating with bees in the Dadant hives still being used with a garlic/ syrup feed
I believe she was successful in overcoming the virus eventually.
Perhaps bees, although insects and not mammals like us, have a similar process of developing immunity to these novel virus that seem to pop up every so often?

Yeghes da

Bees from susceptible strains show different signs in response to this RNAvirus depending on their genetic makeup. There are two main syndromes 1 and 2.
In syndrome 1 get bloated abdomens, K wings, crawling on ground in clusters up grass stems unable to fly before dying.
Syndrome 2 is where the other bees treat them like robbing bees & chew all their setae off them making them appear shiny (old name = black robber disease). Later they are unable to fly , tremble and die.

Requeen with a queen from a non susceptible strain and then problem goes away

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Chronic_Bee_Paralysis_Virus

Thanks for that link masterBK

Do you think that some strains of bees have been exposed to this virus for a longer time and have developed a resistance, a parallel with Varricella major and the European population taking it over the pond and decimating the native American population in the 1800s?

Yeghes da

Thanks all. Much the same is happening this evening ruling out spraying to me.
Hopefully it is just the few at the door that have been evicted and many are safe and well inside.

Thanks all. Much the same is happening this evening ruling out spraying to me.
Hopefully it is just the few at the door that have been evicted and many are safe and well inside.

I currently have one hive suffering badly from what I believe to be CBPV, shiny bees present but worst of all, piles of dead bees in front of hive... colony has dramatically decreased in numbers! They were queenless too so to give them a chance i've united with one of my spare nucs of a local mongrel queen so hopefully we'll see some signs of a recovery. Never nice to see all those bees dead but I guess that is nature. The colony next door has some signs of this but not of the same scale.

Great information thanks. I will change out any old comb, especially as there isn't any brood at the moment, and see how many bees are still inside and their condition. Burning my gloves afterwards!

Latest posts

Back