Chimney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
How do you deal with an established colony in a chimney and the owner want them removed but they are too far down to reach with your hands.

I was thinking one of three options;
1. kill the colony
2. remove the brickwork to gain access
3. place a BB over the chimney and seal the gap so bees can only exit the chimney via the BB. An entrance of some sort rigged up and a crown board and roof to top it off and secured down with straps and screws.

Has anyone tried option three?

If you search this forum. Someone came up with a contraption on a pole that he used removing a colony from a chimney.

Depends on how far down the chimney they are. You may be able to remove some bricks from the chimney breast in the attic to get them. I came across a house that had a removable panel in the chimney breast where it went through the attic, I guess it was used by a sweep in the past.

SteveJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Turnbull claimed to have done it in his book "The Bad Beekeepers Club" ...

The bad beekeepers book, I never could bring myself to buy it, somehow I could never associate it with my way of beekeeping ;)

Smoke them out

I assume it isn't in use I you have time to trap them out if you are ok to work up on the roof... You need a cone of mesh, a spare brood box, and a new queen because you'll trap her in and she will die. It will take a number of weeks so queen rearing in your area should be underway by then.

Difficult and possibly dangerous to strap a brood box to a chimney.

What would happen to the bees if they were excluded with a one way, with no alternative local brood to go to? Would thy just drift off to find another hive?

Is the chimney above an open hearth, does it run straight or is there a dog-leg?

It is more likely that they are in the dogleg, (fixed to the upper part of the flue). If so, you'll need a chimney sweep and/or his tools to dislodge the comb after first smoking them up and out.

Don't envy you, but everything is possible!:winner1st:

How do you deal with an established colony in a chimney and the owner want them removed but they are too far down to reach with your hands.

1. kill the colony
3. place a BB over the chimney and seal the gap so bees can only exit the chimney via the BB. An entrance of some sort rigged up and a crown board and roof to top it off and secured down with straps and screws.

Has anyone tried option three?

Bungalow, house, higher? Ancient, a bit old or modern? Brick class 1, gas flue blocks or metal/other? You may need to enlist a sweep or a builder who is comfortable with bees swirling about. How much does the householder want to spend?
I think it's going to be complicated whichever way it turns out :(

No good advice for you, only good wishes. Please let us know how this goes.

Difficult and possibly dangerous to strap a brood box to a chimney.

imag1057.jpg

I caught this one early thankfully but the box was up there for a few days with ratchet straps keeping it secure.
I used to be a tree surgeon and am now a firefighter so heights arent an issue, that might be for you though!?

Good luck whatever course you take

moo

Smoke bomb

yes cooperex smoke bomb iff they want them to be gone. i personly cant see it will be worth the hassle.. just my view:hairpull:

Is the chimney above an open hearth, does it run straight or is there a dog-leg?

It is more likely that they are in the dogleg, (fixed to the upper part of the flue). If so, you'll need a chimney sweep and/or his tools to dislodge the comb after first smoking them up and out.

Don't envy you, but everything is possible!:winner1st:

I like your can do attitude

Feel queasy even looking at that....what on earth did you ratchet strap to?

One strap around the breast underneath the lip and two straps attached to that.. worked a charm and I was worried because one of the nights was quite windy.

1. kill the colony

Sorry, but I would go for option 1.
I had a friend/colleague who fell from a ladder doing DIY on his house. Head injury. Died.
Another friend, ditto DIY, fell astride a wooden fence……….Two weeks in hospital……..
Don't go there

As an ex BT engineer who spent a lot of time hanging off large poles, some of them marked as dangerous,having tied them to the van first, I've adopted the approach that cowards live longer.
IF it's 'SAFE' do it, if not walk away to fight another day. There are a lot of heroes in the graveyard, DON'T risk anything.

Tim.

Back