Cheap way to stop wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Posted a few photos to show this easy wasp deterent
Buy a piece of cable trunking ( b and q sell it amongst others) the one with a sticky back is best. Cut it to a suitable length, cut a hole in the back with a sharp knife or saw. Only take the very back out enough to go over the bee entrance. Block one end with something like a piece of plastic. Stick it over the entrance. You can now slide the front bit of the trunking to make the tube as long as you want. The bees are using it with no problem. I had to put a piece of wood underneath as the entrance wasn't at floor level and it helped the bees climb over the ledge. No wasps seen entering since I put it in place.
Note the orange pollen they are still bringing in in quantity.
E

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_092806330-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20180827_092806330-800x600.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20180828_115104592-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20180828_115104592-800x600.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20180827_092827145-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20180827_092827145-800x600.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20180827_092815821-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20180827_092815821-800x600.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 198
Same idea. Did mine the other way putting the sliding top onto the entrance . Found it easier to cut the hole in the top rather than in the trunking. Works a treat

The wasps won't go down a tunnel full of bees! They can't just fly straight in without stopping. Watch the front of your hive and wasps trying to get in to see what I mean.
E

One little tip which might also help is to rough up the trunking with sand paper so that the bees find better purchase. Not so much of a problem when they're moving about themselves but if they are doing house chores it might get a bit slippery for them to easily remove dead bees. You can also put the trunking inside the hive on the hive floor or fix vertically with opening at the bottom as alternatives.

Honeybees have interesting behaviors with tunnel entrances. One is rows of bees surging forwards and backwards just like the guard bees who are addressing threats or incoming bees.

Great idea. I'll make some for my Paynes poly hives. One weak hive already robbed out by wasps. So better get on with making them. Thanks

My APE's see off most wasps before they get in. Any that manage to get in they kill. Any that try too hard to get in they kill. Any that ask nicely to get in they head but. If they try again they kill.:)

We are plagued with wasps. Traps are full, garage gets a good fly spray every day to get rid of the ones that come in for the extracted supers piled up in there.
Yet, none of my hives even the 2 and 3 frame nucs for overwintering are being bothered by them. Guess the bees are like your average person on Buckfast Tonic Wine (would have said Scot but too many touchy feely on here).

none of my hives even the 2 and 3 frame nucs for overwintering are being bothered by them.

Much the same here, also have around 175 mini mating nucs and the wasps have no chance of getting in them.

We are plagued with wasps. Traps are full, garage gets a good fly spray every day to get rid of the ones that come in for the extracted supers piled up in there.
Yet, none of my hives even the 2 and 3 frame nucs for overwintering are being bothered by them. Guess the bees are like your average person on Buckfast Tonic Wine (would have said Scot but too many touchy feely on here).

Same here
Wasps everywhere in the kitchen. Dogs getting stung walking on comatose ones but hardly a wasp at the hives

I swear one of my hives think I'm a wasp defensive little blitters.
No probs here I've seen mine balling the wasps .

That looks very similar to the Thornes "invention" I saw on their website for lots more than pence. I do like it although my under floor entrances are holding the line well

Posted a few photos to show this easy wasp deterent
Buy a piece of cable trunking ( b and q sell it amongst others) the one with a sticky back is best. Cut it to a suitable length, cut a hole in the back with a sharp knife or saw. Only take the very back out enough to go over the bee entrance. Block one end with something like a piece of plastic. Stick it over the entrance. You can now slide the front bit of the trunking to make the tube as long as you want. The bees are using it with no problem. I had to put a piece of wood underneath as the entrance wasn't at floor level and it helped the bees climb over the ledge. No wasps seen entering since I put it in place.
Note the orange pollen they are still bringing in in quantity.
E

Wonderfull. Simple, cheap and effective - now why didn't I think of that? Oh don't answer that its just thinking out loud. :cheers2:

Yes it would, I am going to make some permanent ones!!!!
I will make the front sliding part in two parts so I can open it in the middle or just slide it one way.
To be fair someone else on the site has used this but I can't remember who or when and I can't find the thread so I can't except praise for the idea.
E

Last edited:
Would it make a good robbing screen (I never use them) I like these and may use some spare entrance reducers to knock some up over the winter.

Would it make a good robbing screen (I never use them) I like these and may use some spare entrance reducers to knock some up over the winter.

I can only imaging it might help. Let us know!!!
E

Latest posts

Back