Cedar?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Anyone happen to know where the raw cedar comes from? Imported or home grown?

PH

Thorne's standard product is made from imported cedar. The budget option is home-grown.

Best person to ask would be HM but you will need to call him.

You see cedar trees in National Trust gardens. There can't be enough of them to supply Thornes. ?

I had one of these as a kid. Britains.

36313a.jpg

Thorne's standard product is made from imported cedar. The budget option is home-grown.

There is a 20 acre forest of Western Red cedar about a mile from me. Not sure what they use it for but someone is always logging away in there.

Anyone happen to know where the raw cedar comes from? Imported or home grown?

PH

Both - for those who know no better, it gets shipped halfway across the world to keep them happy. Thorne's and Maisie's 'second quality' kit is home grown.
Plenty being felled and milled around here.

The trees like this one you that you see in NT and other gardens are more ornamental species e.g. Deodar, Atlas and Cedar of Lebanon. The trees used for beehives are Western Red Cedar, and are sometimes grown commercially in the British isles. It isn't grown that much because there isn't much demand for WRC timber "commercially" in the UK, and it needs relatively good land to grow on. I make my own beehives from WRC grown in N Ireland, it's high quality and very good to work with.

The trees like this one you that you see in NT and other gardens are more ornamental species e.g. Deodar, Atlas and Cedar of Lebanon. The trees used for beehives are Western Red Cedar, and are sometimes grown commercially in the British isles. It isn't grown that much because there isn't much demand for WRC timber "commercially" in the UK, and it needs relatively good land to grow on. I make my own beehives from WRC grown in N Ireland, it's high quality and very good to work with.

It's hard to source down here , is there a good source up north?

I have only got 3 trees cut up, they were quite big and will do me for a good few years.There isn't that many WRC plantations about, but I can get them easily enough as I work as Forester and have the connections. But I remember about 4 years ago there was around 1000m3 for sale at a forest in Cavan, and they really struggled to get a buyer for it. If you are looking to acquire some message me and I will try and help you out.

Western Red Cedar source

I bought the Western Red Cedar for my Top Bar Hive from Somerset Timber, who live a few miles west of Taunton, and who were very helpful. I believe that the cedar is grown at Stourhead, and is only a few percent more expensive than the softwood equivalent.

Back