Cbpv

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
One of my hives has gone downhill fast, and I'm almost sure its CBPV. Difficult to assess their recent behaviour as it's mostly been hiding from the rain, but yesterday I went down and 3 out of 4 were flying as I would expect, this one had the odd bee coming and going but most wandering around the front of the entrance as per the beebase video. I also thought they looked dark, but my eyes aren't what they were. I'm coming to the end of varroa treatment, and they have dropped about 1500.

I intend to get a closer look, but assuming it is CBPV, what is the best way forward- the literature seems rather light on that. Can I cross my fingers and hope they will get through it now the mite load has lessened, or should I bump them off to prevent it spreading to the others eg by robbing?

I understand that requeening is the best solution, but given the weather and the unlikelihood of anything getting mated, that may not be practical.

Some varroa treatments will make some colonies mill around outside the hive - primarily thymol based ones. What treatment have you been using?

CPBV (chronic Paralysis Bee Virus) has no treatment as it is a virus...

All you can do is reduce the vectors...VARROA and reduce the stress on the bees, so you have done almost as much as you can . So kill as many varroa as you can then autumn feed

on the hive that i think has CPBV Syndrom 2 I have considered using a more aggressive varroacide such as the vet prescribed APIVAR (amitraz) which is now allowed as a pre approved SIC (special import certificate) under the cascade system . However i stuck with thymol based products.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I had them on thymol, but as they'd chucked all the brood out I switched to OA so I could remove the thymol, get treatment over quickly, and let them start raising brood again.

My biggest concern now is whether they pose a risk to my other hives. As CBPV is apparently pretty much universally present, that would suggest that infection is not so much of a risk, it is more down to the condition of the colony, but I don't know if I'm right about that.

Than
My biggest concern now is whether they pose a risk to my other hives. As CBPV is apparently pretty much universally present, that would suggest that infection is not so much of a risk, it is more down to the condition of the colony, but I don't know if I'm right about that.

Hi Skyhook,
My regional bee inspector said the same i.e. CBPV is latent in most bees and comes out when they are distressed. This to me also means that it will come out when they come to the end of their life. Lost 1,000 dark shiny bees in the space of two weeks. All fine now it would appear?:)

The degree of susceptibility of the bees to the virus seems to be genetically determined. Suggest you keep records of your colonies and identify those that seem to have the problem and don't breed from their queens next season and requeen the susceptible colonies using unrelated queens.

The virus can enter bees via broken bristles so preventing the hives from getting congested not only reduces swarming but also reduces the spread within the colony.

Chronic paralysis was bad this year possibly due to congestion brought about by the bees being confined for long periods by the bad weather (and by beekeepers who only add supers when honey is coming in so in its absence didn't give the bees sufficient room)

Learnt new stuff MBK.

Can you say whether if a colony has been badly affected by CBPV (or another virus) and then recovered, whether like a kid who has had chicken pox, that colony will be unlikely to get it again?

Lorenz :You can't compare the immune system of a long lived mammal (child) with that of an insect. Bees don't produce clones of cells producing IgG antibodies to a specific antigen preventing reinfection at a later date. A colony recovers if the spread of the virus around the colony is reduced by what ever means. Individual bees affected don't recover, they simply die. If some of the offspring of a queen showed symptoms of CBPV under the stress conditions (eg congestion or high Varroa numbers) at a particular time then future offspring will most likely show symptoms if the same stressors reappear.

Latest posts

Back