Cathedral bees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmcc

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
None, although I have my eye on one ( Just don't tell Dusty ;) )
I was asked along by Dusty to help take the honey from the roof of the cathedral. It was a beautifully sunny day. The idea was to take the supers, remove any stubborn bees, crown board top and bottom of cleared super, take it around the corner to the little doorway in the turret, and then sneakily pop each frame in a bag and pass it down via a chain gang. Well, it was a good idea in theory. In practice those bees are too smart ( note to self, suggest Dusty keep dumber bees up there ) and found it all pretty much straight away, so it became a battle to reclear each frame, get it in a bag without any trace of bee and pass it down. The chain gang consisted of some very squeamish girls, so lots of bags were passed back up with a screech as a bees head was stuck to it, or we had missed a cunning bee, but we managed it in the end.

I am always a bit nervy about colonies I don't know, but there were other people there so I had to pretend to be a proper bee keeper lol. We really could use a better method, but don't see any other way. Anyway, job done, bees all happy and ready for winter now. Colonies checked. I feel like I have been beaten about the arms and body with a baseball bat today lol, but I really enjoyed it. Thank you Dusty :)

Pictures taken from earlier in the year, but give you an idea of how narrow those stairs are, and steep.

Attachments

• WP_20150822_14_20_53_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150822_14_20_53_Pro.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 83
  • WP_20151002_13_04_15_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151002_13_04_15_Pro.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 81
Strap the supers up and lower them down the outside? With someone to receive them at the bottom?

Strap the supers up and lower them down the outside? With someone to receive them at the bottom?

Good idea. Dusty? We have to be careful though as in no way can we touch or damage the stonework. What do you think Dusty?

The architect won't allow it. Grade II listed building means we can't attach anything to the building without a 'Faculty' - legal permission.

There are workmen replacing the lead roofing at the far end from the hives; they've had to build a free standing tower and a lift to take stuff off and onto the roof. [And, no, we couldn't use it. I asked.]

Kaz was a real brick! Thanks Kaz! I couldn't have managed without her, as a competent beek.
It was hard work, but a decent harvest I think.
Still have to get them down the bottom half of the stairs - but without bees getting in the way.

Dusty

I wasn't thinking as high tech as attaching anything. Although I would imagine an arm would make it easier to avoid any contact with the stonework. Maybe just a plank with a groove to keep the super away from the wall. Obviously the wind would be an issue.

Alternatively, would a nuc box fit down the stairs?

Last edited:
That staircase makes me cringe.

Imagine getting empty gear up it. Right hand on the rope rail and Left hand holding the box. Perhaps a Sherpa style backpack would be the way to go ?

Have you thought of using two half sized supers? You might lose a frame on each level but they might be easier to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a tent up there to spin it into buckets

The architect won't allow it. Grade II listed building means we can't attach anything to the building without a 'Faculty' - legal permission.

There are workmen replacing the lead roofing at the far end from the hives; they've had to build a free standing tower and a lift to take stuff off and onto the roof. [And, no, we couldn't use it. I asked.]

Kaz was a real brick! Thanks Kaz! I couldn't have managed without her, as a competent beek.
It was hard work, but a decent harvest I think.
Still have to get them down the bottom half of the stairs - but without bees getting in the way.

Dusty

Grumpy old so and so's. I wonder why they were reluctant to help? ;)

If you need a hand getting them down, count me in! :)

You can't even rest a rope, plank or anything else on the stone. Nothing! In fact, if I'd have been seen popping my head over and holding the stone to balance I bet i'd have my hands smacked i'll bet lol. I looked back as he told me and you can see why. A beautiful, very old building.

Even nuc boxes we would have to bag and would be clumsy. If you got even a drop of honey on those stairs we would be in bother. They are treacherous enough, make them slippery and down you go!

How many steps are there Dusty?

23 up to the little room off to one side, then I'd say the same again, maybe a few more to the roof, but Dusty will know for sure.

23 up to the little room off to one side, then I'd say the same again, maybe a few more to the roof, but Dusty will know for sure.

oh, that doesn't sound too many. Even so, turning left while descending a flight of stairs and carrying a heavy box must be difficult.

oh, that doesn't sound too many. Even so, turning left while descending a flight of stairs and carrying a heavy box must be difficult.

It doesn't sound like many does it? It sure feels like it though lol, and you can't walk them without that rope, it is impossible.

Apologies one and all. I've been running groups all weekend.

There are 43 stairs, with a narrow, low (4 foot) door at the top.
Stairs are about 2ft 3inches wide - just a little wider than a super/bb.
The steps are about 8 inches on the outside of the tower, perhaps 2 inches at the centre.

To carry supers/brood boxes up, they have to be turned on their edge, because there is a constant turn or 'corner'.
They can be carried up full of frames - as you don't need to hold the rope.
They can't be carried down with even empty frames, as one hand is needed to hold the rope. I suspect even a half super would be difficult unless held in a sort of rope cradle.

I've thought some more about lowering supers down in a sling and still think it's ill advised. There are huge stained glass windows below and if they got a swing on.......

Even a cherry picker is problematic as there is a garden below with a step up - let alone the expense!
Yes, the idea of extracting on the roof - or in the office half-way down - is attractive - but there is no water there or on the roof - and would we get an extractor up and down the stairs?

So, we do it the hard way. Moved 10 supers, but not all frames are extractable. We couldn't sort them on the roof, as the bees were all over us anyway.
I hope I've got time to sort them out before moving them down to the cathedral kitchen on Friday.

Thanks one and all for your interest.
I'll try to upload some photos to show you what we faced.

Incidentally, in the "News" section of Manchester Cathedral website, posted mid-June, there is a YouTube clip of me collecting a swarm from the war memorial cross at the Cathedral. Very funny. I had to use long step ladders at an acute angle, with no one to hold it steady. As you can see, I was more worried about the ladders than the bees!

Dusty

So there we have it. There really is no other way, but we did it, and in record time too!!

We make a great team :)

Latest posts

Back