Cat litter used for smoker fuel?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Anybody recommend this? I heard some people use cat litter pellets as a smoker fuel. Wondering if it will easily ignite with a plumbers torch without the need for paper? also whether there were any particular cheap brands that were recommended?

I have used them (from Asda) but they tend to produce quite a hot smoke

The used sacks from the garden centre, about a £1 each

Leave them out in the weather a bit let them dry cut into strips, roll up and tie with garden twin, chuck them in a carrier bag to keep them together.
A few drops of lavender oil on each roll, is claimed to have a calming effect on the bees... allegedly

They make a good alternative.

I'd be cautious about using cat litter on a hive.
What is in the cat litter? many have odour absorbers and perfumes added. What effect does burning these have? Something that is harmless in a cold state could produce toxic compounds on burning.

I have no idea exactly what's in any brand of cat litter myself, but I'd want to know the answers before administering cat litter as smoke to a hive.

Used cat litter would be even cheaper! Recycle and all that.
(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Those condensed wood pellets burn ok. Light with a bit of shredded packagaing from your thornes delivery.

The test for anything you're going to burn is get it in your eyes. If it stings and stops you from seeing then don't use it when you're doing your bees.

Last edited:
I used to collect all inner tubes from toilet rolls. Superb material and free. Just nest another three to five in one and it even looks like the stuff you can buy. Note I use wood shavings from a turner who just throws it away

Latest posts

Back