Castellated Spacers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daroco

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone got any technical drawings for spacers? I can get them cut cheaper than buying them from the suppliers, but need to supply the firm with a drawing - and it's been a while since my technical graphics GCSE!

Thanks for the link - initially cutting them myself sounded like the cheaper option, but it looks like the company I'll be using can do it cheaper and faster (I'm guessing the access to bulk materials and a laser cutter being the difference).

Would it not be easier to give them one or draw round one. If they are going to be cut on a laser then someone will have to do a cad drawing or similar for the computer and I bet the company doing the cutting could do that for you on such a simple item.

It may be worthwhile to check the internal measurements of the supers.

With recent castellations I have had to trim the ends to get a flat fit in the super.

Would it not be easier to give them one or draw round one. If they are going to be cut on a laser then someone will have to do a cad drawing or similar for the computer and I bet the company doing the cutting could do that for you on such a simple item.

A practical solution! Wondering why I didn't think of that. And could provide it pre trimmed as per Barbarian's suggestion

A practical solution! Wondering why I didn't think of that. And could provide it pre trimmed as per Barbarian's suggestion

Make sure the metal is galavanised and is thick enough so as to ensure they stay tight against the body of the box, otherwise they allow the bees to propolise behind them and then it's a pain to clean.

I'm wondering what the cost savings are likely to be and how many you need to make it cost effective. CwelshJones sell em at £1.60 a pair. I'm sure you can get them cheaper if you buy in bulk.

Last edited:
Looking at around the 50p a pair mark - so quite a bit of saving on 50 pairs! The cheapest I could find was beehivebits - never heard any mention of them before - coming in at £1.50 a pair

If they are cut from galvanized plates the cut edges will be bare steel and prone to rusting unless you coat the with something

I reckon if I were to make them - and I don't particularly like them, anyway, as I ike to choose my frame spacings in any box - I would only make the slots a couple of mm, or so, deep. Just enough to set the spacing.

If I was having some made I think I would go for stainless steel, the bought ones are cut then galvanised. I was lucky enough to purchase some at the Honey Show, but I wish I'd bough more.

Looking at around the 50p a pair mark - so quite a bit of saving on 50 pairs! The cheapest I could find was beehivebits - never heard any mention of them before - coming in at £1.50 a pair

Not bad at all. Perhaps you should go into business. Say £1 a pair... at that price you should corner the market.

I reckon if I were to make them - and I don't particularly like them, anyway, as I ike to choose my frame spacings in any box - I would only make the slots a couple of mm, or so, deep. Just enough to set the spacing.

I can see the advantage during inspections but moving hives could cause a few problems.

I would not even consider them for brood boxes. I would not move hives far if they were supered. So, if I were to use them, shallow slots would not be any bother. Much better than levering them out of full depth slots, 'rolling' bees if used for broods, etc.

I would not even consider them for brood boxes. I would not move hives far if they were supered. So, if I were to use them, shallow slots would not be any bother. Much better than levering them out of full depth slots, 'rolling' bees if used for broods, etc.

I am getting quite fond of them in the brood boxes. Probably a bit daft but I have four different spacings currently in my hives and castellations are currently slightly ahead.

I prefer full depth castellations. The top of the castellation lines up with the frame top bar upper surface. With bottom bee space hives, the top of the castellation lines up with the height of the side of the super. This helps me to position the castellation.

I have moved to castellations in the brood boxes.

It's stainless steel I'm going for. As for cornering the market - too little return to make all the posting things out worthwhile!

Latest posts

Back